Finish for Purpleheart?

Earl Rumans

My next project will be making a jewelry box from Purpleheart for my granddaughter. I previously have only used Purpleheart for a cutting board, so I am looking for some ideas on what to use for a finish on the box.

Hey Earl!! I like a little oil type finish, currently Formbey's Tung Oil finish, to soak in, then a lacquer over the top. Spray stuff like Zinsser has worked well for me with a little wet sanding in between

Hey Earl!! I like a little oil type finish, currently Formbey's Tung Oil finish, to soak in, then a lacquer over the top. Spray stuff like Zinsser has worked well for me with a little wet sanding in between

Be sure the oil finish is fully cured before hitting it with lacquer, though. ;)

Oooo...good point! Any undercoat needs to be fully cured before moving up and out!! There is a cheese and cracker platter that is almost ready for WOP, but the Formby's needs another day. Thanks brutha!!

Oooo...good point! Any undercoat needs to be fully cured before moving up and out!! There is a cheese and cracker platter that is almost ready for WOP, but the Formby's needs another day. Thanks brutha!!

Especially important with a true oil finish like BLO or tung oil. In those cases, I'd give it a couple weeks to cure. Formby's should be OK after a few days. (Check to see if it still smells like finish. If it smells, it's not fully cured.)

Thanks for the tips. I want something that will not darken the wood any more then it already is. I know Purpleheart will not stay purple but I would like it to be as good as it can be, when I give it to her. I was wondering how just using a sealer and a water based wipe on poly would work.

Thanks for the tips. I want something that will not darken the wood any more then it already is. I know Purpleheart will not stay purple but I would like it to be as good as it can be, when I give it to her. I was wondering how just using a sealer and a water based wipe on poly would work.

Earl, I think you're on the right track with the water based finish. I'd avoid any oils if you want to keep the color lighter. Out of curiosity, why use the sealer? Water based poly should work fine on raw wood.

another vote to skip sealer and i have seen some of the water base products hold purple heart color for a long time.. the target coatings seem to be the one to go to for that..

OK. I think that's what I am going to try. Just use the water based poly without using any sealer. I have used the Target products before and I like them, so that's probably what I will use. Would you use a foam brush or just a cotton towel for application. I am not that familiar with water based poly, can I build up the number of coats and then sand for a rubbed like finish?

Last edited:
Well after doing more research I talked myself into getting a spray system. I think the best way to get quality finishes on my projects will be by spraying. I ordered an Earlex Spray system and an additional 1.0 spray tip, so I'll see what my learning curve is with it. Thanks for all the help and I'm sure I'll have more questions. as I learn more.

you dun good earl!!!! now if you want to get more info talk with jeff jewwitt from homestead finishing he is a excellent finisher and will talk to you, also they have a forum there you can join and ask questions 24/7..

I myself have just recently gotten into spraying and ill say its great to have as an option. Just test everything on scrap first, toy with the adjustments and mixtures. W/b poly is very easy to spray. You almost dont even have to thin it, but i do anyway on the first few coats.

For me a 1.5 tip works great, havent felt the need to try any others. Hard lesson i learned recently is that purpleheart can bleed a bit and will show on lighter woods. So spraying lightly on 1st coat is a great way too go.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have been playing with my new Earlex 6900 Spray Station. I have tried both WB Polly and Latex paint and have had great success with both. I tried it with the 2.0 tip that it comes with and it worked well on both products. I thinned the Latex paint but didn't thin the Poly and they both sprayed well. I am ordering some Target EM6000 and will see how that works out. I really like how easy it is to use the system, only a flow adjustment and spray pattern choice. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about getting into spray finishes.