My really weird morning surprise

Got up this morning and found this in the refrigerator. I have no explanation for this. It is completely baffling. Barb says we will be wondering until we die.

Maybe I should start paying attention to Ancient Aliens.

Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? I can't stop looking at this in the refrigerator. What started it? Why is there no damage, no soot? It was hot enough to partially cook the eggs that we cracked open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZF5OPdwq5Y&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
That is crazy Brian. Those are just paper cartons right? May be worth sending to the supplier to see if they can help look into the cause. I think I'd make sure there is a smoke alarm in the kitchen at least for the time being too.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

You've got me scratching my head on this one Brian. You don't have any practical joking family or neighbors near by do you? I first suspected microwave energy, then thought about chemical reaction of something that had spilled on the cartons, then I ran out of ideas. That looks scary.

I had the same thoughts as Ted. Also, might be worth calling the local fire department and talking with them. They may have resources for sending the remains out for testing to see if any chemicals reactions are involved.

I was talking to my brother and he suggested microwaves as well, but in a refrigerator? I also called the fire department and talked to the chief and he had no ideas. There were 2 other egg cartons in the fridge (we have chickens) and they are fine. The cartons are all clean, nothing spilled on them. When people give us used ones and they are stained they go into the compost. Have you ever tried burning egg cartons? They don't light right up like newspaper. It takes a fair amount of flame to get them going.
This reminds me of those old pictures of the supposed spontaneous combustion of a man with nothing remaining but a pair of slippers with a burned up foot in one and a charred easy chair in the room; no other damage.
My sister-in-law suggested I contact Coast to Coast Am and see if they have run into anything like this.
I'm going to check the refrigerator before I hit the sack. Maybe I should put some slabs of bacon and a couple of raw eggs on a plate in there and have breakfast waiting for me in the morning.

my only suggestion other than the official ones that i think should be able to help if they would.. is to ask on google and see if you get any hits.. i would press the fire chief for help.. they have contact with a fire marshall that is his job to determine cause of fire..

Are any of your chickens holding a grudge? How about Clara, you know, the one that always looks at you kinda funny?

...Maybe I should put some slabs of bacon and a couple of raw eggs on a plate in there and have breakfast waiting for me in the morning.

I like the way you think. The ol' lemons...lemonade approach. :thumb:

Honestly, I'm flummoxed as to what could have caused it.

I've heard of hot chicks. :D but hot eggs ??? Wow that is a weird one. I wonder if the egg cartons were set on something that soaked into them and caused the paper to heat up? It sort of looks like the interface between the cartons was the hot spot. You might want to contact the egg supplier and see if they have experienced anything like this in their production facility. Maybe some worker set the cartons on some hot chicken crap?

Got up this morning and found this in the refrigerator. I have no explanation for this. It is completely baffling. Barb says we will be wondering until we die.

Maybe I should start paying attention to Ancient Aliens.

Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this? I can't stop looking at this in the refrigerator. What started it? Why is there no damage, no soot? It was hot enough to partially cook the eggs that we cracked open.

I had five egg cartons in the cupboard, saving them for a friend with chickens. One of the empty cartons spontaneously combusted. Luckily, I was in the kitchen and smelt it, by then it had destroyed half the carton and filled the cupboard with smoke. I'm still wondering how this occurred and have contacted my locals at the fire dept.
I won't be keeping cartons inside from now on.
BTW it was probably your carton that smouldered, not the eggs.

Thanks, but I just joined to chat on the thread about spontaneous combustion of chicken eggs, or in my case.... egg carton.
Aliens are at work in Australia as well!