Classical Guitar Making

Very cool. Quite a fascinating process. :thumb: One of the scary parts about making an acoustic guitar is the fact there there are a lot of "you only get one chance to do it right" moments throughout the process. For example, I know I would have put major gouges in the body trying to shape the heel of the neck.

Very cool. Quite a fascinating process. :thumb: One of the scary parts about making an acoustic guitar is the fact there there are a lot of "you only get one chance to do it right" moments throughout the process. For example, I know I would have put major gouges in the body trying to shape the heel of the neck.

I also notice what you mention which is why i quivered when i saw him let his son have a go at planing that board. But i guess its not the first time for him.

Sure is a labor of love when you look at the pricing you can get them for in a store. But i guess nothing beats making something that makes music.

Thanks for sharing Ryan, great show to watch. Some lessons in it too when it comes to glue ups, i often wonder how many of us squeeze the glue right out of the joints we glueing with all the pressure that can be applied with some of the crank em down clamps.

Thanks for sharing Ryan, great show to watch. Some lessons in it too when it comes to glue ups, i often wonder how many of us squeeze the glue right out of the joints we glueing with all the pressure that can be applied with some of the crank em down clamps.

The good news is: You can't. The glue line can be incredibly thin and still hold (in fact, some glues require it). To physically over-clamp to the point of glue failure would actually destroy the wood itself. When I heard that, I was a little skeptical at first, but when I really thought about it - wood is super porous on the surface - you wouldn't get near enough glue out to make a difference unless you "unwring" the sponge, so to speak - which would destroy the wood itself.

You simply can't clamp too much :D

This is a very cool video. I noticed some techniques that were interesting - like instead of kerfing for the inside of the boxes, he had separate little tiny wedges that he placed instead. Or that the back bracing was done inside the box first, then barely glued to the braces in the center to get it positioned right. Very interesting, indeed.