doing some more gilding

For the Donald. He bought the Old Post Office building in DC and I received a call yesterday to do gilding in the building on the old elevator cages. This might pan out to be a great job. I like the way this year is starting out. I'll post some picks Tuesday of the start.

wow Dave I am seriously impressed with your ability to do gilding especially out in the world and not just in your studio. the one and only time I did any gilding I had to put myself in a room with no ventilation/air movement and hold my breath with ever sheet as I placed them on the piece. I decided then and there that I was not a gilder. That is a serious talent if anyone had ever tried it. Waiting to see some pictures of the process.

Know Idea why the pics turned out sideways. I did 20 flowers for Mr. TRUMP to see Wednesday when he comes to see the place. There are hundreds to do and at this point I'm not sure if I really want to do this. I like work in the shop and if we have a booked shop I will not need to.

Make it worth your while. Is vertical tougher to do than horizontal? Maybe those panels bolt on and can be removed (by someone else) and transported to your shop? Would it look funny to just guild a band around the perimeter of each grate four flowers wide or do some other pattern?

The flowers are 2 parts and riveted on. Their are also of drips , painted Dust ! they are a mess. Their are 4 more cage locations. 5 floors . So Well see what go's. If Donald even likes it. I figured 1 hour per 25 flowers, 3 gold leafs each.

Thanks for turning them Vaughn.

Last edited:
i agree on having the panels removed dave,, and i think this is one job you should do even if your shop is full,, i dont like the guy but he knows alot of folks and if you make him happy your gonna get more work..