Thanks, everyone, for your advice in my other thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...mp-Wood-Choice
I built a prototype from dimensional lumber, mdf, and plywood of the various correct thicknesses. I had to make a few design tweaks due to limitations of my tooling... I built a "clamp-down" style taper jig, which required a 3/4" base. 3" of material + 3/4" of jig = 3 3/4" or about 1/4" more than my saw can cut. So it's 2.5" tapering to 1.5" instead of 3" tapering to 2". Need a bandsaw!
That base change obviously impacted the sizing of the entire rest of the design. I chose to keep the reveals constant. That means they're proportionately larger. I think it looks fine, except for one.
The only thing I really don't like is the final reveal at the base. It's 1/2". I'm changing that to 1/4". The base just seems too visually heavy. Even after the reveal change, I think it will still be visually weighty, but I'm hoping the shade will balance that out. Sorry folks, not doing a "real" Arts & Crafts style shade.... just going to the store and buying a simple white round drum.
Building a prototype worked really well for me as I was able to work through the individual setups for the different cuts, write that info down, and, most importantly, see what did and did not work, safely! I still need to figure out exactly how I'll attach the socket (it's just sitting there in the photos). I didn't realize 95% of sockets available are female. I had intended to sink a nut into the top and screw the socket in there. I may end up doing exactly that, but putting a short (1/2" or 3/4" long) IPS threaded rod in instead... We'll see!