Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sound

New Sound

These aren't mine, but I get to use them. Mike and Jeff (my bandmates) split the cost on a pair of new PA speakers, and they arrived yesterday. We've been using a nice pair of passive Yamaha 10" 2-way speakers and a 1500 watt Crown power amp. No complaints, but there's better technology available. We now have a pair of QSC K10 self-powered speakers with 1000 watts of bi-amped power built into each. Now we can do away with the power amp completely and run the mixer directly into the speakers. These two little 32 pound boxes mounted on tripod stands can put out essentially the same decibels of sound, and cleaner, than the 500 - 600 pound PA stacks we lugged around in the '80s. To be fair, these won't have the same amount of throw in an outdoor venue that a traditional PA stack would, but for our needs playing smallish places, they're actually better than something larger. Also not quite as much bass as the 5' tall bass bins we used back then, but with the addition of a modern subwoofer or two this pair could shake some serious windows. They're rated at 129 peak dB, which is way louder than we'd ever dream of being. (That's like "Larry snoring" loud.)

In our case, we're not a loud, bass-heavy dance band, so subwoofers would be pointless. (And using digital signal processing, these little guys put out a lot more bass than you might suspect.) These little guys will just give us a nice step up in audio quality and clarity at any volume. And since Mike and I are not using any guitar amps at all on stage, our guitar sounds gets to benefit from the new PA speakers, too. Looking forward to giving them a test drive at our gig Friday night.

I told the guys I was feeling guilty for not contributing to the new PA, so I'll go buy us a laser light show and a couple of fog machines. That should go over well in a small pub at happy hour, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It is amazing the difference in size anymore. The speakers I've got for our stereo are smaller than what they used to call 'book shelf' speakers. But the 5 of them, along with a subwoofer kick out more than enough sound for any movies in the 'home theater'.

Just wish I could get the opportunity to see you guys play live one day!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I told the guys I was feeling guilty for not contributing to the new PA, so I'll go buy us a laser light show and a couple of fog machines. That should go over well in a small pub at happy hour, huh?
    As long as you play some Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Boldwyn Pig and some Colloseum . . everything will be fine.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As long as you play some Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Boldwyn Pig and some Colloseum . . everything will be fine.
    None of those, but we do have a few Pink Floyd, Beatles, ELP, and Jethro Tull tunes on the list.

Brent, you and Sharon just need to come visit your SIL. ;-) We DO have airline service here. (You'd spend more time in the airports than in the air.)

workingwoods.com

I still say you need a big amp stack backdrop printed up to hang on the back of the stage, maybe like this one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmpBackdrop.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	80404
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice. Smaller is better when you have to haul stuff around. You'll have to give us a report after the first gig.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Sweet! & ELP as in Emerson Lake & Palmer? Let's here some sometime
    Karn evil #9...Hoedown...Brain salad surgery...I'm not picky, post them all
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I still say you need a big amp stack backdrop printed up to hang on the back of the stage, maybe like this one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AmpBackdrop.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	80404
    bet that security dude has his ear plugs in
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Sweet! & ELP as in Emerson Lake & Palmer? Let's here some sometime
    Karn evil #9...Hoedown...Brain salad surgery...I'm not picky, post them all
    Remember, this band started out as an acoustic duo. We play From the Beginning.

My old band played Hoedown, though. (I got to sit that one out, since there was no guitar part.)

Darren, that Marshall backdrop looks like it came from a Guitar Center Store. They use pics of Marshall, Mesa, Gibson, and EVH on the guitar wall in my local store.

But they don't have nearly as sharp of security guy as in your photo.

workingwoods.com

The dreaded "Hat"!!! Not the Hat!! I don't think the stack would have helped
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots