Guess what it is and what it is used for

Rob Keeble

So as frequently happens with those of us that go looking for something we cannot find we come across something else we were never after. Today i came across this and thought it might be abit of fun to see if we know what it is. Ex service members if you know hold out for the rest to comment
uploadfromtaptalk1389734699241.jpg

sent from s4

A protector to polish your brass buttons so that the polish doesn't stain your jacket?
We used a piece of cardboard torn from any package available, usually from the boxes of sardine cans.

A protector to polish your brass buttons so that the polish doesn't stain your jacket?
We used a piece of cardboard torn from any package available, usually from the boxes of sardine cans.
When my dad was in the army not only did your buttons shine but your button backer had to shine as well. If I'd ever seen one looking like that I would have assumed it's owner was busy peeling potatoes.

Yeah Toni has it, its called a button stick. This one is my Dads from when he was in the Royal Navy, I used it when i was in the army. You slide it under your brass button and polish accordingly. Our buttons on our tunics as they were called were removable though through little rings like keyrings.

Thats something i could never understand about the military from a cost point of view. Given when i did what was called national service (conscription) we were heavily involved in a bush war which where most ended up, why kit each recruit out with full dress uniform as well as normal gear. I think this is another hang over from European Military culture that modern armies could well do with getting rid of. Boy they would not want me around as a cost saving accountant. lol

We were given three forms of head dress and only used on. In Sa we had a steel helmet which had a removable plastic inner that was used in basic training without the steel part. Then a beret and insignia for dress and then a bushhat which is all we really used. The steel helmet was only good as a cooking pot if you removed the inner. Of course they modernised it all since then. Same goes for footwear. Smart really good quality leather shoes both upper and soles. Boots 2 pairs rubber sole leather upper, and then utterly useless 1920's type tennis type shoes.

I guess Military waste is a subject best left alone.

Rob, Dunno if you it was for, but my son had to pay for all of his mandatory items from his own pocket, they give it to them and take it from their pay.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Darren: I assume there is no possibility of self supplying either.
Ryan when I was in we could buy them from outside sources or uniform shops but it was more expensive. It is cheaper to get them from the base exchange and have them talored to fit.. A big part of the expense is the stipes and the decorations. My son who has been in 12 years and is a Chief Petty officer has to take all of his uniforms in this week and have the stipes (insignias of rank) all changed to gold colored ones since he has gone 12 years with good behaviour. He has earned 14 medals and he must wear them on his dress uniform and he had to pay for all of them.