Really new at this

Peter schmitt

Hi my name is peter I am really new at the whole wood working thing but I was wanting to make a cool looking easy box with a false bottom something I can stash some extra cash for a rainy day but line I said I'm new I have 90% of all the tools I'll need so some designed and planes would be cool

Welcome Peter. Do you by chance have a bandsaw or access to a bandsaw? The reason I ask, bandsaw boxes are fun and relatively easy to make if your bandsaw is set up correctly and you have a good sharp blade on it. Google bandsaw boxes and see what I mean. There are many with hidden compartments in them and they are very addicting to make.

Auctually that is the 1 dang thing I do t have I been wanting one but keep putting it off got a couple chop saws table saw drill presses lathes planer just about every thing else

Welcome Peter. Bandsaw boxes are fun but, you can make boxes with a tablesaw. For the false bottom you could have part of the lower trim hide act as the handle for and also disguise the presence of a slide panel on the underside.

Hi and welcome aboard.

I could give you all of my vast knowledge about making boxes. I made one; once. It was for a box swap that Family Wood Working had.

However I will be nice to you and not explain what/how do do what I did---Since the box was a long way from being great.

Enjoy,
JimB

I made a box today (no work) for my hand planes. Not having the right kind of hinges, I decided to just make the top sliding. I dadoed the sides to accept the 1/4" ply top. I plugged the back where the dado went through. You could do something like this for a false compartment. You could conceal the slide with some type of molding.

I got a nasty little cut when I was sawing the remaining part of the plugs on my pull saw. Those things are sharp. No complaints though. My dad had major surgery. Thank God, he made it. (But that's another story.)

Hello Peter,

If you are tight on budget and need tools, look to Craigs list. Worn out stuff from a contractor is usually, well, worn out. But a lot of homeowners buy stuff, use it once or twice and then sell it. Tablesaws, shopvacs, ect....

Sounds to me like you have all the tools you need to start, and I would start with a prototype, you will get some practice in and you will make something, and you will not fuss about making it perfect because hey, it's a prototype. You will learn a lot about how to make a box and you an apply that to making a better one and then an even better one, trust me no one makes a perfect anything the first time around.

NO ONE!! :D

For your compartment I can think of many things to do, for example a false bottom that you hold in with magnets. If you have a pivot point and you know that if you push on the right side of the bottom that side goes down, freeing the false bottom from the magnets so you can remove it. If it is just for cash you could have a false top in your lid, similar idea, or a pull out piece of trim like a tray in the lid or the bottom, lots of idea.

My point is to make a basic box, don't worry about the corner joints just yet, make it a butt joint, make a box with a lid, a lid that just sets on top is fine, make your box then experiment with ways to make a false bottom or such, have fun, prototype to your hearts content, then when you have your idea worked out in cheap plywood or cheap pine or such, then buy some good wood and make a nice box.

YMMV :D