grinding planes

Tom Bussey

First off , I am retired and the place I retired from still lets me use their grinder occasionally. I do grind planes as a hobbie and it gives me something to do in the winter as well as give me a little spending money to buy more planes and so on. I am not in business per say but if the mods think I should be in a different place please let me know.

I do grind other peoples planes for them and the following is what goes on during the process.

First up is a #7 getting indicated in on two angle plates The two ends are made exactly zero, or the same. Some times one side is thicker than the other so it is the thin side that is indicated so the least amount is taken off.

The next two pictures are the side of the #7 and the side of a #5 being ground.

Now the other side is placed on the magnet and the side up is ground. This does two things . It makes it parallel so the precision vice(s) can hold it and removes any twist that was originally in the body. Clamping to the angle plate could allow twist to remain. The next picture shows what I saw after .005 was removed. It took another .006 to clean it completely up and make it parallel. The is a total od .011 from start to finish not a total of .011 off from the total surface.

Next the the bottom is indicated in. with again the two lowest points on the very ends being the same. As you can see that the one end is .003 higher and it is bowed .010. This is unusual because usually they are bowed the other way

The first few are after .007 was taken off.

The next two are after another .004 is taken off. It took a total of .015 to clean it up and flatten it.

Having shown what really goes on in the process, I guess I should get to the price.

$40 for a 3 and 4, $50 for a 4 1/2, 5, 5 1/4, $60 for a 5 1/2 , $65 for a 6 and $80 for a 7 and 8. all are plus return shipping. A $5 discount per plane after the first one if more than one is sent at the same time.

Thanks for looking
DSC00834.jpgDSC00836.jpgDSC00836.jpgDSC00839.jpgDSC00841.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting Tom and the timing could not be better. I have been thinking of contacting you and your post gave me the push I needed. I have a project that could use your services. I will send you an email this weekend. Just too busy right now.