Tangram Set + Gift Box

Art Mulder

Made a present for my daughter...

Started when my wife came home with a Tangram book from the thrift store. My daughter loves puzzles so it was decided that I would make a Tangram Tile set.

Started with some 3/8" cherry leftovers and a pattern I found online for the tile shapes

And then some white oak and spalted maple... Just making the tiles wasn't enough, I decided to make a storage box for the tiles and the book to go together

I fingerjointed the white oak on my woodgears box joint jig. I then ploughed a dado top and bottom for a fixed bottom and a sliding top
(Also cut some small oak plugs to fill the holes in the fingers left by ploughing the dados)

Sanded the fingers and rounded the corners on my stationary belt sander

I then sprayed the whole thing with rattle-can laquer. Works great on a small project like this. I love how you can spray multiple coats in one evening. But I hate the stink afterwards! This only gets done in the garage, never in the basement shop!

I made the box deep enough so that it would be hopefully useful for other stuff if she ever is done with tangrams but wants to keep the box.

The tiles fit nicely under the book in one layer, though not in the "official" square shape

That's about all, thanks for looking

(More photos and details on my website, if you're curious.)

Wonderful idea Art brilliantly executed those box joints look great. I think they way more practical than dovetails. But the puzzle takes the cake. Love that kind of brain teaser.

Hope she enjoys it. Lets hope it gets her into your shop to make a few more puzzles to add to the initial one.

Good Job:thumb: I thought about making a tangram set once but then I thought it would be useless without a booklet. Also it is nice to see that there are people making good use of Mathias Wandels well designed machines:type::thumb: