Where to find hardwood 1-1/2 1-1/2?

Just a tip on searching, "hardwood" will find you more flooring than lumber yards. Searching on "lumber" does turn up a lot of construction grade suppliers but, the ones I am looking for end up there too.

fla lumber.jpg

If you are just new to hitting lumber yards in general, get ready for a wide range of experiences. The yard I currently favor is just blocks from another yard. The nearby one I don't use has that "oh, you don't want a 50' trailer full of stuff, you're wasting my time" sort of an attitude. That is if you can get them to put down the newspaper long enough to help you. Other yards mean well but just don't rotate their stock enough. If I have had to pass on the 12 pieces of walnut for a month, I politely let them know and go elsewhere.

My point is that if you don't feel comfortable or well served at one yard, try another and another. I drive quite a ways to take my business to the yard I prefer but, I rarely leave without what I came for and usually a few nuggets I hadn't planned on. Good luck and post what you find. Our other FLA folks will thank you.

Last edited:
Good advice so far, but I want to add that you will likely not be able to simply purchase 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" material off the shelf. Some lumber yards will be able to mill the wood to your specific dimensions (for a price), but in most cases, you should anticipate needing to mill it to those dimensions yourself.