Apparently, Murphy's Law Works Both Ways

David Agnew

Today, I learned that Murphy's Law works both ways.

I've been diligently building a pair of Mission style lamps as chronicled on this forum. I built a practice/prototype which went smoothly, so I moved on to the "real" wood. I'd purchased enough to make the pieces, but no more. So Murphy stepped in and I ruined the parts made of 3/4" cherry. DRAT!

I made some adjustments to my jig and technique, ran a few pieces of pine through the process, and felt I was ready to go again.

Today I went to the hardwood store and picked out a nice board. This time, I would buy enough to make extra parts! I would buy 2 bdft (they're small parts). However, the guy behind the counter said they needed boards to be 6' long after cutting. This board would be 5' after taking my 2'. DRAT!

OK, says I, just sell me the entire board. I'll have plenty to mess up on. We negotiate some defects and taper and I pay for 6bdft.

I take it home, choose the ugly part for a test piece - one last bit of practice with the actual stock - jig it up and start cutting. Murphy steps in again.

It came out PERFECT. Assuming the "real" pieces go as well, I've now got a 4' stick of cherry I don't have an immediate use for and now have to store. :rolleyes: I would almost feel better if I had messed up one or two test pieces. :D

Murphy gets you coming and going!

Rob - EXACTLY. I've been skimming designs for small Mission / ArtsCrafts stepstools that are all hovering around 4-5 bdft!

Ken - Ssssshhhhhhhhhhh! :)

Ha-HA! Murphy didn't get me! The parts aren't PERFECT, but they're pretty darn close enough to work for my bedside lamps. :)

Now I've got some sanding, waxing, gluing and final assembly to do. Hopefully, I can get one done by Saturday so I can run by the fancy lamp store and get an overpriced shade to put onto my $20 of wood and parts......