What's the best way

To protect a window in a shower:dunno:
I have a vintage 90s aluminum clad Anderson casement window right where I want to put a shower I'd love to stand there in all my glory and watch nature as I wash away the daily sins:rolleyes: I'm taking the walls to the studs and installing cement board for tile but there is that window:huh:
Would replacing the extention jams with something water resistant work or is this a disater looking for a place to happen?

Tyler....our mainfloor bathroom has a window right in the middle of the shower. Note......I'm 6' 1"....my chin barely clears the sill....it's not waist high or lower:rolleyes: I replaced the window and the sill 24 years ago and it's still holding up. I suppose in another 30 years I might have to replace the sill......If you get a good paint job....seal everything before painting and don't let the paint or caulking deteriorate too bad.....I think you could do it.....I did.....

Over the years I've lived in at least 4 houses with windows in the shower, including steel casement windows and aluminum sliders. If properly maintained and caulked, they didn't present any problems.

Just make sure you use frosted glass...don't want to be frightening the neighborhood children, ya know. ;)

Tyler. Use the simple method.

Just hang last years Glossy Calender over the window.:thumb:

Water splash runs down the calender, into the shower stall , saving the window sill ;) :D

Don't forget to wear the speedo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, does the window have to open or are there others in the room?

We have a hexagonal window in our show, it doesn't open but we love the view outside. The border was done with wonder-board and then tiled.

Jay

I saw that East Boston TOH, too. Didn't they also "cover" the window by hanging a small shower curtain on a curtain rod around the window? That way there was no direct exposure of the windoow or sill to water.

Tyler -

We have a window over the tub in a second bath. The window surround was tiled to match the tub surround. We had a small "shower door" made that simply pivots closed over the window when the shower is used, or opens when we want more light in the bathroom. It's translucent glass so the neighbors don't get a show.

Works great and most shower door companies will fabricate one for you.

Neil

Last edited:
I don't see them that often. But when I do (as a home inspector) I always find water.... well high moisture content in the walls with my moisture meter. No one ever thinks there is problem with window either. But if there is moisture in wall, there will be a problem if there is not now. Usually when you find the problem it is serious. There is not much warning that the wall is rotting till it's bad.

I tell most of my clients there are two thing that destroy houses. Not counting natural disasters of course. Water and Termites. Keep them out and with normal maintenance your house can last 100+ years.

Me, I wouldn't have a house with a window near a shower. Just a problem in the making in most cases. I am sure there are exceptions, I just haven't see one.

glass block that`s flashed properly will work well as will an aluminum framed commercial window that`s flashed correctly......i`d try to avoid using a casement or double hung window in a shower just `cause replacing it when it leaks will be a major undertaking especially if you tile the enclosure.....tod