Fish outta water - new mac

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Work bought me a mac book pro, feeling like a fish out of water. For you folks that are mac literate, what tips, apps, and tweaks should I make? I've learned a few shortcut keys and had to make a few changes to the browser to work with the touch gestures, but still feel like I'm new on skates with it.

Also got a Mac, but no guru here. Also would not go back. Hate having to work in both worlds, but I do, so I still have a PC tablet. Drives me nuts to go back and forth. And as little as I use the PC, MS still screws things up. Have yet to have those kinds of problems with the Mac. That alone is worth it.

So just what is it that you are looking for, Daren? I found the Mac to be pretty intuitive and not requiring tweaking from me. In other words I was making it harder than it needed to be. The new user classes at the Apple store (free) were really helpful. Maybe what you are asking of your new Mac, it already has/does and you simply need to see/do it differently.

Mine is an iMac and like others who have already posted, I'm no guru either. I find it much easier for me to find my files and folders on a PC, but I'm sure that's just me, not the Mac. As for tips and shortcuts, the only thing I think of fro a totally new person involve locating your dock where you like it best and getting the applications you use most often on that dock.

I'll naturally try to help if you have a specific question with details, but don't hold your breath while waiting.

been away for two years darren, and like others have said you can get to the inner w0orkings much easir.. and the fact that they dont crash near as often as a pc did forme.. i had some things when it was day job that i used to do or have to fix problems but i was dealing with others files constantly.. so i got nicked files and had work arounds fo rthem.. like they said figure out what you use the most and have it handy.. the way a mac uses ram is differnt than a pc,, each program can have a specific amount allocated to it to make it run better.. for instance Photo shop needs all it can get.. tom is the freshest one i know of on it and art is top notch as well.

Mac at school and the publisher I sell stories to about horse farming pays a little extra because Macs rule the print world (he says). But not a guru. I do know the little apple key and c is copy, appleV is paste. That's it for me.

Thanks all, I'm getting around a little better than I was. One of our other developers that uses mac sat with me for a while. I need to change some system settings to make the screen hold more stuff and was a bit confused by what difference was in Control/Option/Command, but think I've got that down now. I think I hit a bug in the new OS with Chrome, the scrolling stopped working for me and the scroll bars wouldn't show up, a quick restart fixed that one.

I also wanted to setup a lock screen, found either using hot corners with a screen saver and password or can press Control+Shift+Power does it also.

Looking for any app suggestions for things that make things easier though.

It's really pretty hard to give you tips to make things easier without knowing what software you use or what you use the Mac for in general.

For me, I capture portions of my screen pretty often... just press command-shift-4 at the same time, then drag your curser around the part of the screen you want to capture. When you release the mouse button, the image will be saved to your desktop. You'll need to go to the desktop (through Finder is how I do it) to see the image.

I also use the trackpad instead of the mouse.

Thanks Gary, I've gotten the hang of it pretty well now. Been trying to use it daily at work remoting to my desktop, which is how I use it away from work. The screen capture tip is great, thanks, I'll be using it often. I've also been using the trackpad, the multi gestures help a lot, but are taking some getting used to.