Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for cat and dog lovers

for cat and dog lovers

For some of you with dogs that challenge their domain limits perhaps this would help with tracking them down. Larry and Brent i was thinking of you guys with your labs

http://makezine.com/projects/make-37/gps-cat-tracker-2/
    cheers

Interesting, Rob! I've often thought about finding a miniature video camera to hang on our male cat to follow him around. This gadget might be cool to try.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

There was an advertisement on the page you linked. It was a very small tracking device call the Tile. Very interesting.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Ah neither of these solve my dog problems where he will wander the neighbourhood and gets lost and can't find his way home (truthfully he gets lost in the back yard not 20' from the doggie door sometimes, he's not the brightest spark).

Thankfully its been over a year since he got out as I turned the back yard into a little doggie gitmo (buried wire all around the base of the fence, etc..) a few years back and he hasn't found a weakness in the perimeter defenses in a while.

Really need some sort of transponder with an alert system that will text me when he crosses the boundary "Fritz has left the yard!!!" and then a homing beacon on him from there. Something with a range to 2-3 miles would be nice.

what would be good is if we could program this thing to sprk them when they went to far
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    what would be good is if we could program this thing to sprk them when they went to far
    I think they do make collars like that....wander, wander, wander...YIP
    "If they don't know you personally, don't take it personal."

Re: for cat and dog lovers

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Larry with what is going on in tech these days i dont think its far off. Certainly could be done on a hobby basis.
    There is only one big negative to wireless, it does not have a permanent power source. So relies on batteries.
    One can get wireless beacons that dont cost much but who wants to go round changing batteries every now and then.

sent from s4
    cheers

Heck, I try to get Bucky to wander away anymore. I think she's on to me...

All we have to do is put the training collar on her and she doesn't run off. Haven't hit a button on it in ages.

It's just a reminder for her to not run away...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

they make people under house arrest wear an ankle bracelet that sets off an alarm if they leave their home, Im sure they make the same thing for a dog.
    Id rather shock the people under house arrest when they wander off then my dog(I don't own a dog)
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    they make people under house arrest wear an ankle bracelet that sets off an alarm if they leave their home, Im sure they make the same thing for a dog.
    Id rather shock the people under house arrest when they wander off then my dog(I don't own a dog)
    Yeah the shocking collar wouldn't work all that well on my dogs. Their brain completely shuts off when they start chasing something (basically they turn into mouths and legs, even the eyes go dim, I watched the one dog chase a rabbit for a good hundred yards past where the rabbit had turned off). I'm afraid the effects of the shock collar hits the brain well after they're already well past the perimeter. If I got the "you get shocked outside the zone" version I think the one would figure it out, the other would basically collapse into a quivering pile of "owe owe owe" and stop moving (probably in the middle of the road knowing him). You might think I'm joking but I found that one outside "hiding" on an anthill (and bit all over) from the dying fire alarm battery beep (he associates it with the heart monitor beep from a "bad" - saved his life but.. - vet experience we're pretty sure). Pretty much one of the saddest looking things ever.