Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: idea for a fix

idea for a fix

the original chairs I made for my dining table approx. 5 years ago, one of them I have a problem with.
    Its the chair that sits directly in front of the large radiator, and I think over the years with the chair always being pushed closed to against it, the steam heat has loosened some of the bottom glue joints. The chair is a bit wobbly and I noticed a few joints on the bottom are loose making the chair unsteady. All the joints on top are fine, so trying to break apart the chair and reglueing doesn't seem an option.
    any suggestions?
    Human Test Dummy

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

another thought would be try some more heat resistant glue allen like the powdered resin glue,, i like macks suggestion first though
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I like the leevalley stuff. if I cant pry the bottom of the chair far enough apart to get glue in there, Im going to order that glue.
    I can always drill a tiny hole underneath and inject some of it.
    Human Test Dummy

Move the chairs around so they all get a dose of heat
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Move the chairs around so they all get a dose of heat
    Stu, you sound like a farmer rotating his crops.

Enjoy,
    JimB

I wonder if that Lee Valley stuff would work on the loose parts inside of my skull?
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    another thought would be try some more heat resistant glue allen like the powdered resin glue,, i like macks suggestion first though
    Ive made around 15 chairs for indoor use, I never had a problem with joints getting loose.
    I cant figure anything else out, other than that chair has been pushed against that hot radiator the entire winter.
    I looked over the chair closely today.
    I would have to drill holes in order to get that glue in, so I might just drill small holes into the tenons from the inside of the legs, peg them, and see if that's enough. The holes wont be noticeable once they are plugged.
    When I get some more drive, Ill give it one more look.
    The only other thing I could think of, is that perhaps I had old glue for that one chair, maybe glued it up in a cold garage, but its funny that the joint never failed until 5 years later.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Ive made around 15 chairs for indoor use, I never had a problem with joints getting loose.
    I cant figure anything else out, other than that chair has been pushed against that hot radiator the entire winter...
    I'm guessing the heat from the radiator has dried the moisture out of the chair, and the wood has shrunk a bit, loosening the tenons. It'd be interesting to use a moisture meter and compare that chair to the others.

How hot has the chair gotten? Both Titebond and hide glue will soften/lose strength when exposed to heat.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I'm guessing the heat from the radiator has dried the moisture out of the chair, and the wood has shrunk a bit, loosening the tenons. It'd be interesting to use a moisture meter and compare that chair to the others.

How hot has the chair gotten? Both Titebond and hide glue will soften/lose strength when exposed to heat.
    its been sitting in front of the radiator at least this entire winter. I have no clue how hot it gets there. pretty sure it was titebond 2
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    its been sitting in front of the radiator at least this entire winter. I have no clue how hot it gets there. pretty sure it was titebond 2
    Well... Hot water, or steam radiators? Hot water seldom exceeds 180, but is usually a bit less than that - like 140 or so. Steam radiators get much hotter - enough to be pretty uncomfortable/painful to touch. Either way, though, radiators are dry heat, so they'll dry out anything in the room, and especially something so close to them.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!