Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want Opiniions on Hollowing Tools

Want Opiniions on Hollowing Tools

I want another hollowing tool ! My Easy Wood Tool #3 full sized hollower works really good but I want one that is maybe similar to the Sorby HollowMaster. The Sorby hollowmaster has mixed reviews so I wonder about it.I dont want another one with an insert but maybe one that I can sharpen but I still want opinions of what you guys prefer. Anybody use John Jordans Hollowing tools? Just let me hear your opinions Thanks in advance !!!

When I was hollowing, I used a Monster...everything in one! For stuff like birdhouses, I have a custom from Tim Reinhart, uses a 1/8" round cutter on a swan neck.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I'm also a fan of the Monster tools, but I'm biased. (I run their website and help with their marketing.) I also much prefer captive hollowers over free-hand tools, but that's a personal preference.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Mike, I have and occasionally use a Sorby Hollowmaster which worked as advertised after I got used to it. Like Jim and Vaughn I moved from hand held hollowers to the Monster captive system. I also use the Kobra captive systems for larger turnings. That's probably not the answer you are looking for, because the captive systems are pricey. I guess it depends on the scale of the hollowing you are doing. Maybe someone else will chime in.

For captured, I have a Kobra. For freehand, I like Hunter tools.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I am an admitted tool junkie. I have the following hollowing tools. Soren Berger, Rolly Monroe, Termite, Jordon, Kobra 1" hollowers, 1 hunter tool. Last year a friend and I started making carbide hollowing tools. For miniature hollows I use bent allen wrenchs mounted in pen blank handles.

I prefer Soren Berger for green wood and Jordon using my Kobra for dry wood.

One of the draw backs to having so many choices is that I am not proficient with any of them.
    Either you like bacon or you are wrong.

Free hand or what?

One of our local wood turners as designed a really nice articulating arm that has HHS inserts he sharpens on his CBN wheel.

he designed this for two of our members, one who has Parkinson and the other is wheel chair bound and uses hie with the sit-down lathe stand he also made for this indivdual.

Don Pencil tools are excellent. He often offers specials on tools with cosmetic defects.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I agree that Don Pencil makes and sells some good stuff. I really love his face plates (especially the bargain-priced "blems") and buffing equipment. His "PL" polishing compound is my favorite. But having owned and used some of his hollowing tools, I'd say there are better options available.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My hollowing tools are homemade, and don't really work that well, I might add!
    "We the People ......"