Before Blue ray there was... before VHS there was Beta but before that

Don Baer

Staff member
there were CD player. We bought this player when our boys were very young and it still work well. one of the most interesting movies is this one. The disc it self is about 12 inches in Diameter and was a first release of the movie. All analog technology. We have 20 or 30 movies for it and our granddaughter thinks it is the greatest thing in the world. Anyone else ever get one.

Attachments

• IMG_1808.JPG
    IMG_1808.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 38
No the laser disc can along a little latter this actually used some sort of a capacitive pick up to play the movie. The disc are very fragile the laser discs were a little hardier that's one of the reasons these didn't take off. then with the advent of the DSP (digital signal processor) well that all history we switched from analog to digital technology. Here is a close up of the bottom of the album cover they call it a CED - Capacitive Electronic Disk

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Wikipedia is great for some background.

I immediately thought laser disc also.

I have never heard of the CED - "analog" disc.

It shoots back to the early 80's at which time we were all going after all the new technology for home movie watching in the day. I remember going to the movie store and "renting" a VHS player, long before the price came down to where I could afford to buy one.

This brings back memories.

Now - we stream all that stuff.

I was working at a music store during college and remember getting some of the laser discs in, but don't remember those. It was prior to DVD's, about 1992, and remember thinking "why would anyone ever want to watch on one of those over a vhs?". The laser discs we carried were expensive, about 5 time more so than vhs. A couple of years ago I got to watch Star Wars on a friend's laser disc and I have to say it was a good as watching it in the theater.