Wood shop heater!!?

hey nihn,, them northern yanks dont understand some of the southern folks delemias,, i am a misdirected northerner than loves the southern hospitality when ever i can.. dont spell good and dont look purty but i can survive in most placves so dont let them others scare you off, the south will rise a gain and we are all in it together on this forum we dont do things like some where they sugar coat things and tell yu what you want to hear.. you get black and white here and sometimes some gray but never will you get a batch of misinformation from someone trying to sell you there wares..

Omg hahahaha my app wouldn't refresh so I couldn't see the new post !!! And Leo kinda scared me for a second there but!!! After Recieving this product and doing some testing and assembling. (Which I have many pictures of I boxing for you guys. ) I will post in a few.

I'm VERY glad I listened to y'all about previewing the paint off because omg the gas it gave off was TERRIBLE !!!!!

so I got the burnt off last night and already have two coats of high heat paint on it which is recommended on the directions and I must say guys. I REALLY don't think there's too much to worry about with extreme fire hazard now YES anytime there is a flame there's always a risk BUT after burning off the crappy nasty smelling paint I discovered that while this thing can really put out some heat , it is very hard to get it really going just about the only way you can get it really going is by leaving all the cents and doors OPEN once closed the flames go WAY down and I think this is because of the 2.5in. Flew pipe that comes with the kit will not allow a lot of air flow.

My review of this product for those of you possibly interested in possibly buying it in the future.

Product works great!!!! After a few modifications!
When Recieving the product I had already read about every negative review possible and as predicted its was or had to be assembled by a 6 year old. The welds are god awful. Door latch is a joke and the legs to put the product together are unbelievably terrible. !!

Welds
• look like crap
• leak air/smoke occasionally but for the most part the product itself doesn't suffer any weakness due to these crapy welds.

The Latch
• the door latch might as well be a clothes hanger with a bend in it and a nut welded on to it.
The fix
• there's a number of things you could do to fix this the main thing I fixed is just being able to hold the door closed I just took a 3.5in. Carriage bolt 5/16 and replaced the rod it came with the head of the bold acts like a wedge and keeps pressure on the door I didn't put a but on the end of it I didn't see the need.

The legs
• this by far is my most frowned on part of this product.
The legs that come with it are fine it's the ace where you have to insert them and tighten a wing nut that is my focus they aren't even remotely welded on in any orientation to have the legs match up. ! So it looked like 2 of the legs were 2in. Too short !! I ended up replacing it with some stock. 1/2 steel rod scrap from work cut to the link I would need to keep it from teetering.

But that's as far as the complaints go. For 60$ and a little diy fixing here and there I'd say it's well worth it considering the prices for a cast iron one that way too large and not as temporary as this one and way less of the cost!!! Over all it keeps my 25x30 2 car garage very toasty warm!
I'd buy it agin and I'd recommend it to any one with the warning that there will be a little bit of work to do bit yes I like it !
ybahu8u3.jpg

gu4epada.jpg

ahuzu3y4.jpg
3uvyjyjy.jpg
uqynena4.jpg
gazymy6e.jpg
2uze6yga.jpg
symene2e.jpg
aty7yry9.jpg
aru4a3u3.jpg

I hope this was as help as you guys were in assisting !!! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well you've said the quality & value of the stove is really just not there. How does it compare to the quality & value of your home & family. This in the end is how you really value it & it also shows how you value your home & family.

And yet you kept it & intend to use it against all the good advice given you here.

I wash my hands.

Well - I did give it my best shot at trying to scare you away from it.

Glad I didn't scare you away from the forum.

Still wish you would reconsider.

BUT - I do wish you well with it. Hope nothing bad happens.

If you ever do get uncomfortable and want something rated for a garage and is safe. I would highly recommend a Modine Hot Dawg heater. That is what I have had since about 2003 and I love it.

well ninh, i too tried to help you reconsider and i got a bit of wake up monday,, i was witness to my neighbors house fire from a wood fired furnace and a space heater.. not got the offical cause yet but i was the first one there and saw how fast a 2300 sq ft home can go up in smoke.. be careful and dont think for one minute you wont have any trouble consider it a loaded gun.. glad your back posting and look forward to more of your posts and builds..:)

Hahahaha it be different if I was going to use it all the time BART not to mention I have to hook it up every time I use it and I dismantle it when I'm finished in the shop for the day.

This for the fear/safety trolls out there

"To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent."

~Buddha~

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.

~Leonardo da Vinci~

"A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice."

~ Edgar Watson Howe ~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first read your thread I was going to post to it. Leo covered all of the points, including we are happy to have you on the Forum. However, I feel compelled to remind you of Carbon Monoxide---you cannot see it, you cannot smell it, but you sure can die of it. GET A GOOD CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR if you are going to use it even one day.

In California, they wouldn't even let you put that stove in an outhouse. Minimum legal requirements for my house in Oceanside is triple wall stove pipe through any wall or ceiling.

If you really go ahead with this thing: You can purchase "cement board" quite inexpensively. It is used as a fire shield. I know that would be safer than other products mentioned for the window.

I know you don't want to hear it, however I REALLY WISH YOU WOULD NOT DO THIS!!!

I know all I have done here is bitch and condemn, however (again) I really welcome you to the group. It is a great bunch of guys and gals and we really care for each other.

Enjoy,
JimB

One thing I'll add Ninh, is to keep an eye on the barrel itself, won't take long for the ashes to weaken the bottom...I burn wood in my shop but it is with a heavy beast of cast iron...I can quit feeding it at 5 or 6 pm and still have a bed of hot coals come morning...just something else to keep in mind...and a few extinguishers{not the hand sized but industrial} would be a great investment DAMHIKT :thumb:

Frankly, with all the quality faults you noted about this product, it really surprises me that you didn't return. The poorly made product is usually a good indication of future performance. The good may show up at first, but the bad is there & will show up when not expected.

I'm not trying to jump on the band wagon here, but as an aside I've requested & received a lot of advice from the members on this forum over the past couple of years when I joined up. I can honestly say that their advice is sound with only the intent to be helpful. I have really benefited from their advice. Perhaps you should listen as well; your well being is not the only one at stake, consider your family.

I used to heat my shop, for a couple of years before we ran the gas line in, with a "Little Cod" boat stove which is about the same size as yours. We never ran it unattended. Easy enough as it would burn a load in about 20 minutes.

I don't know that I'd be comfortable with your little stove though, seems to flimsy. I'd definitely toss a couple of inches of sand in the bottom to prevent burn through.

I used to heat my shop, for a couple of years before we ran the gas line in, with a "Little Cod" boat stove which is about the same size as yours. We never ran it unattended. Easy enough as it would burn a load in about 20 minutes.

I don't know that I'd be comfortable with your little stove though, seems to flimsy. I'd definitely toss a couple of inches of sand in the bottom to prevent burn through.

2nd that!