Wood shop heater!!?

Ninh Shepherd

I just bit the bullet a bought

Portable Military Camping Hunting Ice Fishing Cook Wood Stove Tent Heater w/ Bag by TMS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTNAYIA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_VoM6sb1NWGA98

ehezuga5.jpg

I had to do it after looking up and down locally per owned and new
I came to find out that wood stoves have went UP in price unlike I originally thought. So I bought this it should be her by Wednesday next week. My question is I are they're Amy safety issues I should know about beside proper ventilation and biting off previous pain coat because of toxic odors. Any tips you guys could give me? I've never had a wood stove and this one I feel will do just right for my 25x30 garage
Thanks guys!
Ninja ~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I don't believe that that stove is rated for indoor use so there may be some insurance issues if you ever have a fire (indeed some areas/setups there are insurance issues with any wood heater so there's that).

Past that there are some installation differences in a more permanent install that you'll want to look into.

• install it on a non-flammable surface because there are inevitably sparks and coals that get bumped out when you open it to add wood/shake the wood down/etc... Back in the old days we used a sheet of tin but really that's marginal and a sheet of hardboard or something under the tin would be better so as to isolate the tin from the floor. If your floor is concrete, well :D :thumb: Just don't let wood dust/scraps accumulate to closely.
  • Make sure you have a safe stand off from walls, etc. Also a fire/heat barrier (with a dead space between it and the wall) is recommended
  • Frankly although I've used sketchier setups, I wouldn't put that stovepipe through a roof (or near a rood). You would be astounded at how hot stovepipe can get so where they go through walls/roofs you want to use pipe that is rated for that. Its generally multi-wall pipe and often has some insulation in between some of the walls or has other venting features (I haven't looked in a while so I'm not sure on current state of the art). Generally I would prefer to avoid single wall pipe in any permanent structure I cared about because its to easy for a spark to escape through it. A lot of people still use it though, make sure the surroundings are protected accordingly. Stove pipe can end up costing more than the stove :(
  • Speaking of stove pipe make sure you clean that sucker out at least yearly. Especially with a stove like this one you can get a lot of creosote build up inside the pipe and while stove pipe fires are exciting they are also maybe well to exciting. Using good, dry wood also helps slow down creosote buildup.
  • On a more prosaic level put a pot of water on the stove. Wood heat is a very nice dry heat but it can end up a bit to dry, so a pot of water helps balance that out. Its also convenient to make tea that way :D

The alaska safety dept guidelines go into a bit more detail on some good basics: http://dps.alaska.gov/Fire/TEB/docs/woodstovesafety.pdf The NFPA guidelines are a bit more handwavy: http://www.anpac.com/safety/home/III/Wood_Stoves.pdf If there is a problem with a fire your jurisdiction may have different rules of course so ymmv

Ok that was loads of info ! But very helpful! To clear up some questions. The wood stove is not that large it's meant to be portable so what I plan on doing is only using it for the harsh cold days/nights
I plan to use it without notifying my insurance as I will never leave it burning while unattended. And it's only going to be importation all during the winter.
As for how I'm going to put it in for a temp use is I plan on kinda placing it in the corner of my shop and by there I have a window I can take out and but in a cut sheet of hard ply and run it out threw there of course using dbl wall pipe anywhere it's touching and from there it will be 3'x3' from each wall. So there won't be much length of pipe needed.
Do y'all think that will be ok?
And I'm working in a 2 car garage but it's also the basement for the house because I live on such a steep hill the other side is just as big but I have a 100'x100' tarp divining the to halves.
be3eqeda.jpg

u2uhedeg.jpg
e6usahy3.jpg

Ok well what do y'all think!? Remember I'm only going to be using this just for the cold season then it will be cleaned packed and stored away and I don't think I will be making any type of HUGE fire in it normally just a small thing of charcoal will warm it for about 2 hrs not toasty warm but at least tolerable and I live in ga. Thanks guys
Ninja~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as i see it ninja ,, i would put it near that far wall that is the clearest of flammable stuff move the propane tanks!!! and you need to vent it out side somehow for the smoke,, reason for having it over there is it away from the work area and in an emergency you kick it out side.. my preference for what your doing would have been one of those oil filled electric heaters .. they are safe and will take the chill of pretty good and they are reasonable.. and you dont have to feed it..

As for how I'm going to put it in for a temp use is I plan on kinda placing it in the corner of my shop and by there I have a window I can take out and but in a cut sheet of hard ply and run it out threw there of course using dbl wall pipe anywhere it's touching and from there it will be 3'x3' from each wall. So there won't be much length of pipe needed.
Do y'all think that will be ok?

Can't 100% say for sure obviously :D

Personally I'd probably be mostly ok with it myself with a few caveats.

I'd likely want to avoid the ply if possible for the window and maybe use 1/2" fiber board or something else non-flammable that doesn't transfer heat well.

Check the outside for two things: places for a spark that went up the chimney to land on things (usually the chimney is supposed to end several feet above the roof for this reason - see the alaska dps guidelines I shared for some ideas there - and possibly add a spark arrester to the chimney as well) and also if there are any places where the wood smoke/or other gasses (carbon monoxide most concerning) could get pulled into the rest of your structure. I might buy a cheap monoxide detector because you're below grade and it has a nasty habit of settling in low places when you don't want it to.

I'd probably put a fire barrier (drywall or something like that) over the joists above (and a few feet around) wherever you put it so that a stray spark doesn't get up in the rafters and smolder away unnoticed. The amount of sparks that can come out when you open the door to stick in another piece and one of the burning pieces "pops" can be surprising.

One other thing I've found is that its surprisingly easy to get a whole lot more fire going than you intended in a whole lot less time than you'd think possible so watch that and be careful to not over feed it until you get a handle on how it burns (and if you switch wood types or get a fresh batch that's drier than usual realize that some burn a whole lot faster or longer than others). Your plan of burning charcoal helps this (and the previous point) quite a bit in practice (although charcoal can get a pretty hot fire going as well).

And as Larry noted I wouldn't stick it next to the propane tanks :D

Having said all that there are few sources as nice as wood heat imho, it just does a fantastic job of knocking the chill off. But you live in Georgia - there are "harsh cold days/nights" there? :p

Ninh, I'm with Larry on the oil filled electric heater. I wouldn't trust myself not to knock that thing over or have a board fall on it. I'd be worried about make-up air too, although the garage is probably leaky enough. Be careful whatever you do.

I'd agree with Larry as well, either go with an oil heater or if not around flammables an infrared one would be a good second as you can point it toward where you are working. It looks like a basement shop, why not add a vent or two on the duct work to push a little heat in there? It should rise and help keep the house warmer too. I have one vent from the house in our garage, which isn't insulated, even on a 10 degree day it's usually 40 out there.

Frankly, I'd only use that heater in an area that didn't store any of my valuables, let alone my garage or house. It is intended to be an outdoor heater. You are risking an awful lot using it indoors. Your best intentions can never be guaranteed and you sure don't want your house to burn. The resulting fire investigation will soon reveal your illegal heater and your insurance will not honor your claim. Carefully consider Larry's suggestion and go with an approved heater. I use two of the infrared heaters and they work quite well.

Listen to the older & wiser people here use two of the infrared heaters they work quite well. If you think the shop is cold just think how cold you'll be with no house to live in. Then there is the worst someone getting injured or killed. It's not worth the chance your taking just to play a bit in your shop.

Ninh as much as you want to use that heater read and read again what has been said by very knowledgeable experienced people.
That low cost stove could be lifes most expensive lesson.
What I observe here is that you are force fitting a solution due to perception of savings by using offcuts that u would normally scrap.
That stove is intended for a structure where at worst the loss is a tent and a few basic belongings.
You could end up losing everything you have.
Read what Carol said.
Read again what everyone here has said.
My vote given your comments and experience with this is cancel that order and do as Larry says.
If as you say you will only need it occassionally the increased utility costs for that short duration would be next to nothing.

sent from s4

Frankly, I think you would be wise to heed the advice given above. If you can, you might consider returning the stove you bought, if it hasn't already been used, and getting a portable infrared or oil heater with the refund. Buying a product for what it was intended to do is usually better than compromising your safety by not doing so.

I've been watching this thread to see how it would develop. Everyone appears to be giving sound advice. But, I can see from the ad how one might assume the stove is safe for interior use.

I recall seeing a segment on one of those "How It's Made" type programs that show this type of stove being made for use in a camp tent. It's used for warmth as well as cooking inside the tent, so long as the tent is manufactured with a proper flap that allows the stove vent to extend out the top. In that case, I believe the vent was a double-walled construction.

No I do NOT think you will be OK.

No.

Sorry - but I have never been known to be diplomatic - I just tell it as I see it.

You "might" get away with it as long as there is not a problem. If that is what you mean by OK - nah - I will not get involved in that sort of justification. I call that "head in the sand" justification.

A fire will get out of you control faster than you can possibly imagine. HURRY - find the hose - RUN - hook it up, dem it's too short -- eshaust the fire extinguiser, not enough - - PANIC PANIC PANIK

Honey call 911 - FAST

more panik - more panik - HURRY

buckets of water - sand anything you can find

panik - panik

sirens - sirens - police - fire department arrives.

OK, phew, fire is out - minimal damage - only lost 30% - the corner of the garage is gone and some tools are melted. Paint on car is only blistered. NASTY SMELL from water and smoke. Horrible mess, but that can be cleaned up. Maybe 20-40 thousand in damage - not that bad.

Call the insurance company ---- WHAT? - ARE YOU JOKING? -- NO WAY, we will cover negligence, - but, oh by the way NOW - we are dropping you off the insured roll, you are too high a risk, --- :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sooooo - That is how I see it ---- but I am probably wrong !!

------------------------------------------------

I installed a woodstove in my house and I got - STUPID above code and err'd STUPIDLY, on the side of safety.

----------------------------------------------

Have you ever been in a house on fire ----- I have !!!

Sorry - but I mean to make you feel uncomfortable and unsafe on purpose.

Sooooo - That is how I see it ---- but I am probably wrong !!

We may have scared the guy off with our views. He's new. He may not understand our much we care for one another here. Come on back, Ninh.