Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some coaching and guidance (UPDATED WITH SOME CONCLUSIONS)

Need some coaching and guidance (UPDATED WITH SOME CONCLUSIONS)

So i am back on the project i started making some custom shelves for my office. Following Glenns advice that being organized makes for better work environment. So i took some time out to do a little woodworking. Yeah i had to pick -13 celcius to go cut a bunch of ply for shelf draws. Well thats done and the IBox jig i say again for anyone that dont have one, BUY one. Its the best thing since sliced bread.

Alright draws are glued up and sanded and now i suddenly got cold feet and stopped in my tracks. Worse than a donkey.

Here is the issue. I worked out all nice and carefully the run of little draws i could get on this shelf. Could not believe myself being able to cut the wood then cut the joints and have the draws all come out to size and square. INCRA you amazing both in that Mitre Guage you make (what a pleasure not worrying about if its square) and the Ibox. I think the result was such shock it froze me in my tracks.

Now from the pics here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shelf draws marked up picture.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	80709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drwa shelf marked up 2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	80708

You can see the plan is to have these draws just slide friction fit between two shelves and a divider of 1/4 masonite. NOt pretty but i want the functionality more than pretty right now. Pretty can come later.

So i tested putting all my draws together with the masonite in between and voila it all fits like it was supposed to. (dont laugh thats a shock to me but i guess i have been hanging around with all of you here so something must have rubbed off by now).

But now even though i have marked the measurements on the wood, and have a router sled i got cold feet.

I need both top and bottom shelves dados for the masonite to be perfectly in alignment and i dont need creep. Next i have managed through cunning care to end up with a little room to maneuver and that was deliberate. BUt now i got to spread that spare space which is about 3/8 over 7 pieces of masonite and that affects the measurements.

So all you pros and brains out there throw me a bone please so i can cross this river without drowning and messing up the shelves.

I dont know what it is just mentally stuck on how to move forward.

Was going to go to the garage like i have done to cut the ply and use a 1/4 dado set but my table saw/fence combo wont do the whole shelf from one edge so i am chicken of trying that one.

Been thinking of doing them one at a time and using the actual draw and masonite for marking the cut line. And finding a piece of paper or card that would provide that extra to take up the 3/8.

On top of it all i am working in the basement in a very crowded space not ideal for this work but determined to get some woodworking in this winter.

Thanks in advance for any ideas help and suggestions.

Last question , am i crazy to think of running a 1/4 router bit in a 3.5 HP router.? My Milwaukee is what my cutting sled is set up for and i need to get a collet for it if i am going to use that. I used it for all my dados on the shelf so far.

Been thinking of using the Colt trim router and just clamping a guide in place but to me that just spells errors again.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 02-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob,
    I would lay em out side by side so that you ill be working on both top and bottom at the same time. Then I would clamp a fence the correct distance from the intended cutter path and clamp it in place then I would simply rout the dados. I hope you get the jist of what I am saying. Repeat as many time as necessary.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don has it,, use a full length piece to cut the top and bottom at the same time as for clearance you show 1/4" but the stuff we have isnt 1/4" so you can get some breathing room there as well.. the colt would do it but the Milwaukee will sprint threw it practice on junk once to get the feel for it and make sure your clamped tight and some how anchor both piece together before any cutting so they dont move independently of each other for a misscut.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Re: Need some coaching and guidance

Ok thanks but any suggestions on how to layout? Given i need to spread 3/8 across 7 dividers.

sent from s4
    cheers

divide .375 by 7 and add that to each space of drawer width or use paper shims to get a approx thickness and use a template to run your guide against 12" drawer plus your 1/4" hardboard plus the number you come up with in the math or paper. are all your drawers the same width? if so then your gonna have a easier job with just one template spacer.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rob your looking at about 50 thousanths of an inch so just make it a pencil mark.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Not that it matters now but, I always build the carcass and fit the drawers to it. This is especially true of piston fit drawers which I make oversize and hand plane to fit. I fit the drawers from bottom to top and use the top as my 'adjuster' that I may make a smidge taller or shorter as required. Again, this can be done if you make the carcass first so let me move on to something useful .

You won't be planing that plywood and, your drawer size seems already fixed. The good news is that if you have a bit of extra room in the "socket" that the drawer will be fitting into, you can add some UHMW tape to make the sliding easier and take up the slack at the same time. If the drawers will have false fronts, your primary concern is fit and movement. Even if the drawers are not perfect visually, the false fronts can hide that. As to dividing up your excess; add an 1/8" to the bottom three locations and you're done with that.

If I hear you correctly, you are using 1/4" dados. Just use that shop made dado jig many of us have been meaning to get to . If like me you still haven't improved on the current state of a dado jig, a piece of scrap with a fence screwed on can be clamped, used as a guide, moved, clamped, etc. I know you have Carol's book. She must cover this in there, yes? The Colt is a perfect little tool for small dados. Fear not. You are invincible. Full speed ahead .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-31-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I did cover that, but I used a track guided jig for the router. Can't wander off with that. OK Rob, bottom line. Rout both pieces at the same time with them clamped edge to edge as Don suggested. As for measurements, use a center measurement. Can't get on the wrong side of a center line. Read my book on that issue. And next time, do as Glenn suggests. Make the drawer fit the hole, by creating the hole first.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

You've already received great advice Rob.

Here: http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...bledadojig.pdf
    There is a free online plan for one of those Dado Jigs that Glenn has been meaning to build. I built this one and it works great.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Re: Need some coaching and guidance

Thanks all for the valuable advice appreciate it very much. Will get the book out Carol. Why i did not think of that duh i dunno sometimes i just wonder. Its like having the righ tool and forgetting you own it.

@Glenn yeah i made one of those clamp adjustable jigs.
    Then as memory would have it, i got it in my mind to believe (duh) that i had it set for the 3.5hp Milwaukee. Milwaukee dont supply 1/4 collet with the router like Porter Cable do so that set me off on a tangent i could have done without. Time i wasted could have been used to make a jig for my colt.
    So that stopped me in my tracks, have since located the local Milwaukee service center and its not far from me. They happen to be the only people with Stock in Canada.
    But then this morning i fly out of bed 5: 50am rush to basement and come to realise my jig is not even set to use the Milwaukee. Its set for my Porter Cable and i have Two 1/4" collets for those.
    Trouble here is the comedy gets even worse or better depending on if you laughing or crying by now or both.
    The jig i made uses the edge of the router base as a guide thats fine for the specific bit size that cut the initial slot/guide edge. Not fine if that bit was 1/2" and the slot one wants now is 1/4" Then i remember this jig was to be able to cut dados to match ply thickness. Not cut any size dados to a line. Duh again.

So deep breath i think i will make another guide specifically for my Colt or better yet a trip to LV will restore sanity. :thumbup:
    @Carol i have been wanting a clamp on track and guide for all sorts for some time and i think time has come to open the wallet. and spring for one.

As to draws to fit hole etc, this whole shelf arrangement is very temp. Cool idea on the hmw tape Glenn will give it a whirl. Whole unit totally intended to be disposable hence the use of really crappy ply for the draws and glue everywhere. No fronts Glenn.These are gonna get a hole for pulling in and out
    To be really honest i had hoped Ikea would have had something like these draws to purchase. But anything to make use of the ibox jig.
    My son got the better unit. this one aint even gonna get a touch of finish. Lets say its the protoype at least thats my excuse. Lol i just need it NOW to get my desk organized for work.
    But any chance to practice and learn i use and that is the reason for my asking.
    One thing for sure I enjoy my woodworking nowadays and thats the most important thing. Wish the memory was better. Rapidly coming to realise organization and marking items with notes that meansomething is key. Having a dedicated place for everything will help but i am not able to be there yet. Resolution on that concept is still too course like ...router is in garage....not draw or shelf etc xyz.

Got great neighbors and even though i dont have space or shop setup nor have proper power, getting to do something and make some dust is great.
    Of course i have a great wife that supports me that helps beyond anything else.

Btw in case u wondering i want these little draws handy at my desk to store all the bits an pieces that go with tech stuff these days. Memory sticks, various hook up cables etc. Shelves will hold scanner and label printer server and portable dvd reader and a long power bar at the rear to hook up all those pesky transformers for a the devices. Also power supply and some other techie things. Cant dabble in arduino and pi without space.
    Fundamentally i want my desk surface back and NOW. Lol.

sent from s4
    cheers