Nice looking lathe but only a 1 year warranty

Probably a good lathe, has some nice features. Many companies warranty are only one year. e.g. Grizzly I was turned off of Laguna when I was shopping for my bandsaw. Their sales people are relentless, better suited for bill collection. I got multiple calls daily for weeks. That alone is enough to dissuade me from considering Laguna again for anything.

Based on the poor product quality and absolutely horrible customer support a friend on another forum went through with a Laguna lathe a few years back, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me for free.

Based on the poor product quality and absolutely horrible customer support a friend on another forum went through with a Laguna lathe a few years back, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me for free.

I've had one of their bandsaws for about 12 years, with virtually no problems. When I did have questions - early in my ownership - their reps were very helpful. I just recently called to complain about weld quality on a Resaw King blade, and they replaced the blade (a $170.00 blade, btw) with no question. Seems like pretty good service to me, although I know others have complained about it.

Jim, I know a lot of folks have been happy with other Laguna tools and the service they've gotten. The vast majority, in fact.

In this particular case, the guy bought a new model that ended up being a bigger lemon than usual in a model line that became known for having lots of problems. Then, Laguna tried replacing faulty parts with more faulty parts, and finally told the guy that the problems he was seeing with the motor and the variable speed controller were more than they could fix. I think he spent another year or so trying to return the lathe and get a refund. In the meantime, A Laguna service rep was caught red-handed posting praises of the lathe (and insinuating the customer was an idiot) under a pseudonym on the forum where this customer was doing most of his complaining. Really classless move. Probably not fair of me to to condemn the entire barrel as the result of one rotten apple, but at least in regards to their lathes, I do.

Jim, I know a lot of folks have been happy with other Laguna tools and the service they've gotten. The vast majority, in fact.

In this particular case, the guy bought a new model that ended up being a bigger lemon than usual in a model line that became known for having lots of problems. Then, Laguna tried replacing faulty parts with more faulty parts, and finally told the guy that the problems he was seeing with the motor and the variable speed controller were more than they could fix. I think he spent another year or so trying to return the lathe and get a refund. In the meantime, A Laguna service rep was caught red-handed posting praises of the lathe (and insinuating the customer was an idiot) under a pseudonym on the forum where this customer was doing most of his complaining. Really classless move. Probably not fair of me to to condemn the entire barrel as the result of one rotten apple, but at least in regards to their lathes, I do.

I too watched this happen in real time on another forum, it was bad, really bad, pitchforks and torches bad, Laguna should be very ashamed of that episode and the way they handled it someone should have been fired.

I agree with you Jim that their bandsaws get rave reviews, and I'd surely love to own one, but this lathe, maybe as a boat anchor, and for that kind of money, why not buy American, go with a PM or a Robust, or even Canadian eh? and get a Mayo....?

YMMV :D