Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overfilled My Cyclone Barrel

Overfilled My Cyclone Barrel

Well . . . . I have overfilled the barrel before in so far as it was heavier than I like to lift. This time I overfilled it too far. I was reaching for something down near the post-filter bag and bumped it. Instead of its usual empty "flap" noise, it went "thunk". Some expert investigative work followed by a serious round of pipe-smoking, violin-playing deduction (that is a Sherlock Holmes reference, I don't smoke or play the violin) led me to realize I was hosed. Pulled the filter cartridge which was near solid packed. The cone was full up about half way. You get the idea, total fail!

I tapped and vacuumed the filter out. Thank goodness for the shop-vac dust deputy, I got about 8 gallons of dust out of the filter with the vac after tapping out all I could. I then hand flapped the pleats while vacuuming and tapped some more. Eventually I got a nice even light through all the filter material. Now how do I get it back on?

Gravity "helped" me get the filter cartridge off but I was going to need help getting it back on. I thought about the jack out of my little truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone Barrel Overflow (1).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	80728

It was tall enough but, by the time I rigged something to stabilize it I could do it another way. Clamping cauls! They're not just for clamping anymore .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone Barrel Overflow (2).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	80729 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone Barrel Overflow (3).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	80730 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone Barrel Overflow (4).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	80731

All set. I gave it the incense smoke test and all seems to be ready to let me continue on . . . whew!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Well . . . . I have overfilled the barrel
    I do this with embarrassing regularity.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

that doesnt happen often thank goodness huh:0 you need some kind of warning device or a window to check the level of dust..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have almost cut a window in the barrel several times. My sleds are stored in such a way that I would not be able to see the window but, I should see it often enough. Most shop made bin sensors I've seen check at the neck of the barrel and by that time, its too late for me. The commercial ones come in a variety of formats but, all are $100+. I'll need to percolate on this a bit.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

The question is, how many hours does $100+ buy of your time doing something that unpleasant? How many hours did you spend today taking care of the problem and cleaning up the mess? How much per hour did you 'make'? Maybe the century note expenditure is a bargain. And you have been known to factor in your time and effort in tool purchases. Just sayin'.

FWIW, I've done sloppier justification for rationalizing purchases.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

From Dust to Dust and Ashes to Ashes---That's because they get burned up about it.

Dare I say, "Enjoy?"
    Dad
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-01-2014 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

A buddy and I tried to make a bin level detector that used an utrasonic distance sensor. It did not work well because the beam width was to wide and so it always registered as full (or was inconsistent in the reporting of fullness depending on the exact location), also the sensor needed to "calibrate" itself every time it turned on (the actual distance to the remote side didn't seem to matter so I never did fully figure out the logic of it) which seemed to work poorly inside the barrel. I've meant to revisit the project with a different sensor but have never gotten around to it. It does appear possible to make a variant of the onieda sensor for maybe $20-$30 bucks though... if you're clever enough.

My workshop is my present dustcollector. ....and it seem to do just the same thing. So, maybe I should scale down to a smaller one?
    Make a nice day!

Would you like a relatively inexpensive approach to not having that problem? I put a Magnehelic on mine. This is a pressure/vacuum gauge (hooked up for pressure in my application) that simply displays a reading that indicates whether you have good air flow. In my case I put it on to gauge when my filter needs cleaning. By definition that also shows when the filter is getting clogged. I bought the gauge for about $25 off e-bay, it included everything needed to hook up except the plywood frame (see pic). Installation is little more than drilling a hole in the outlet plenum (just ahead of the filter) and screwing the NPT bunge in that comes with the gauge. That bunge connects to the high pressure port (as opposed to the low pressure port) on the gauge with a piece of 1/4" tubing. See what it reads while the machine is running, then watch for it to climb. An increasing reading indicates restricted air flow; ie: a filter clogging. For me, it also told me when I could no longer get my filter clean enough for optimum performance, and I replaced it. Anyway, if you choose to do this, I suggest a gauge that reads between 0-10" of water. I tried a smaller one (0-4") and had so much needle bounce that it was very hard to see changes. In the pic, you can see the tube I mentioned curling around the DC discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    Would you like a relatively inexpensive approach to not having that problem?
    THanks Fred. That looks pretty clever. I have see a variant where a clear tube with dyed mineral oil is used but, for $25 or so, I would prefer the "dry" method. I'll poke around the web for one.
    - Arthur C. Clarke