Retirement Fun

Paul Douglass

I got to thinking the other day that the trunk I built for my grandson may not be great fun for him to play with. It is pretty big and heavy for a 2 year old. I saw in Toys and Joys plans catalog that they had some simple ones that would be something a little boy could really play with. They were so simple I decided to try my had at making one by making my own drawing. I also got to thinking how would I build it if I only had a 12" piece of 2" x 6". This is what I came up with. I had to use some other wood for the wheels and fenders because I wasted some wood, but I think I could do the whole thing with one foot of 2" x 6" if I decide to make more. Okay, so I'm just having fun. That is what retirement is suppose to be..

IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2007.jpg
IMG_2008.JPG

I think you might be right. Let him enjoy the little one now, and the bigger one a bit later when he's more likely to appreciate it.

Paul, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By any chance could you set a ruler around that truck to give me some ideas on dimensions? Does the bed dump? I LIKE that and see a fleet of trucks being built from that! I might be teaching a middle school class next year in the wood shop and that would be an excellent project for them for themselves as well as a donation to a toy charity.

Paul, Jonathan, I like what you have made Paul.

Have either of you seen the trucks and construction equipment plans in a bunch of issues of WOOD magazine? Their latest came yesterday and is a cement mixer truck. These are a bit bigger and a little more intricate (You would have to judge that), but I want to try a couple sometime. I have a new grandson (3 months old) and where he lives, I don't think he will get a lot of exposure. A boy has to have his trucks, and us Grandpa's need to make them.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Paul, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By any chance could you set a ruler around that truck to give me some ideas on dimensions? Does the bed dump? I LIKE that and see a fleet of trucks being built from that! I might be teaching a middle school class next year in the wood shop and that would be an excellent project for them for themselves as well as a donation to a toy charity.

Jonathan, I sent you a message with some info. The bed does not dump. I was trying to keep this one as simple as possible.

Paul, Jonathan, I like what you have made Paul.

Have either of you seen the trucks and construction equipment plans in a bunch of issues of WOOD magazine? Their latest came yesterday and is a cement mixer truck. These are a bit bigger and a little more intricate (You would have to judge that), but I want to try a couple sometime. I have a new grandson (3 months old) and where he lives, I don't think he will get a lot of exposure. A boy has to have his trucks, and us Grandpa's need to make them.

Aloha, Tony

Tony, the bigger truck in one of the pictures I posted here is built using a Wood Magazine Plan. It is one I purchased off of their website, but I think it was originally in one of their magazines. It was a good plan with real size patterns to use. Good instructions. Another place for plans that are a step up from the Wood Magazine ones is Toys and Joys. Then there are a few others on the internet that have the plans for real detailed ones.