Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why am I getting this message?

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON

Why am I getting this message?

Hi Mack Cameron! Looks like it's been a while since you posted. Forums like ours rely on having active conversations, and we encourage you to be part of the activity. It doesn't matter if you're a seasoned woodworker or a complete newbie. Feel free to ask a question, tell us how you would tackle a problem, or just join a discussion in any one of our forums! If you have problems posting, please send a note to our Webmaster so we can help you!

I've sent a message but to no avail!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

mail doesnt go on sundays Mack but i sent you a pm instead

not to change subject but, have you had trouble with purple heart wood bleeding the color to other woods nearby?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Do you get it from this forum Mack? I've been disconnected for a while I didn't get anything like that. I find it quite pushy, and if I would get anything similar, it would make me not to post or participate again in such forum.
    I do not know whose idea was to program those automatic messages but some people may not post due to many different problems personal and serious ones at a times, it makes one feel as if posting was some sort of obligation.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I've been getting a similar message if I come here and am not logged in. But it doesn't call me by name, because it doesn't know me if I am not logged in.
    "We the People ......"

Why am I getting this message?

Toni (and others), the message is something the Mods and Admins wanted to try to see if we could encourage more folks to post. I can see that it might not be causing the desired effect. I'm sure there will be more discussion in the Mod Lounge about it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bear with us folks. This was an initial test and Toni, you can blame me for the idea. We are trying to encourage some of our lurkers to join us and this is a test of the message which we set to pop up after one week. Obviously that's too short a time. If we decide to implement it, it will probably be set to pop up if you have been absent for over a month or more. I saw it on one of the other forums where I usually just lurk and it prompted me to get off my duff and join in. My hope was that it would do the same here. Maybe we can change the language to be a less pushy and more gentle reminder. Any suggestions for achieving the same purpose would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 02-03-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

As a part time Family member I can say that Family is a nice forum. I lurk and post occasionally. I am not sure why I don't participate all of the time, but for some reason, I don't.

I don't mind a PM or a email, but a form email is not cool.

If you want to come across as a friendly forum and you want to encourage members like "me" that are not here all the time - or post only occasionally, I would encourage you to form a "group" - "committee" - or formulate a plan of longer, or more senior, or "steady posters" to make a "personal" encouragement plan.

Have your committee make personal contact through PM or EMAIL to have meaningful connection with prospective lurkers, or new posters, or occasional posters. NOT a form message.

Make REAL messages - from "you" ---- to "me". Interact --- bi-directional - dialog - recognize the person you send a message to - talk to them - don't send an impersonal form.

Make it REAL.

Actually ----- I received a *REAL* PM from one of the Family members recently about a couple of recent posts I made. Nearly brought tears to my eyes that the member sending the PM even recognized me. Trust me - this place - Family - is a tight knit group. The way you all interact with each other makes it obvious that you are all "together".

Someone from the outside - like me - comes in and makes a post - you all post in response to each other and the outsider is not acknowledged. His post is all but ignored. It's as though they do not exist.

Picture a store front porch on an old country store. Townsfolk are on the front porch having coffee on rocking chairs and chewing the fat, having a good old time. A stranger comes up and grabs a coffee. Sits in the empty chair and says hi. One of the townsfolk says hi, but resumes the conversation. The outsider "maybe" finishes his coffee, feels awkward - then leaves. This is a lot of how Family feels.

So - they just don't come back - they don't feel welcome. In the whole scheme of things - it's natural. Sooooooo - when I received a PM - here - on this tight knit - family - I was flabbergasted. WOW - one of the - family - members recognized ---- me. I thought that was just sooooo cool.

Anyway - that is my 2 cents on the subject.

Hi Jim Niemi! Looks like it's been a while since you posted. Forums like ours rely on having active conversations, and we encourage you to be part of the activity. It doesn't matter if you're a seasoned woodworker or a complete newbie. Feel free to ask a question, tell us how you would tackle a problem, or just join a discussion in any one of our forums! If you have problems posting, please send a note to our Webmaster so we can help you!
    I get this also Mac
    Last edited by Jim Niemi; 02-03-2014 at 03:45 AM.
    If it can be Moulded I'll Mould It.
    I am a Profile Knife Grinder, Carbide service, Saw grinder, Moulder Operator in industry

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    I don't mind a PM or a email, but a form email is not cool.

It's not a PM, It's not an email. Just a little blurb at the top of the page as a gentle suggestion.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash