Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple questions

couple questions

in this dream shop adventure,, i have been told that 3 phaze power is available for no extra charge. so if it were you folks and this was a small shop but had this chance would it be a good idea to get it? i know that reasonable tools are out there in 3 phaze. the next question is if you had a choice between a mono slab and pole construction which would you opt for and why? the slab would be stick built construcktion. thanks for the advice
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Dunno about your pole and slab problems, but the 3 phase............ HECK yeah!

All kinds of older GOOD machines that you can get on the cheap, as the average homeowner cannot use them without a phase converter

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

3 phase for sure Larry, especially at no charge.

Now I'll refrain from the second question cause I think we talked about this one over a couple of brewski's.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

3-phase yup!.....and i`d go with a slab....even though concrete is harder on feet it`s much easier to keep up! i`d also vote for stick built especially up north.....for ease of insulating and wiring....plus down the road if you ever decide to sell a stick framed building on a good slab will be a faster seller that a polebarn structure....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Slab sucks on the feet and legs, but while you are building it, you could put in a subfloor of wood, and you could run the electrical under the floor to the middle of the shop...?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Larry.....stick built or pole barn.....that's one of the decisions I wrestled with when I built my shop. In the end, I decided on stick built. IMHO it's easier to do the electical and insulation and I'm not so sure it's not cheaper because of that in the long run. 3-phase........take it! There's nothing stopping one from using a single phase........or 3 phase once it's installed!

Steve Clardy Guest
    No extra charge on 3-phase.
    Take it. Main box will cost a little more though.

I'd do a slab, stick built.

Highly suggest a wood floor if its in the budget.

3 phase, stick built, wood floor
    Cheers, Frank

Third option on the construction for here in Michigan and other northern locations. Look into using SIPS. A little more expensive to put up but the increased effectiveness of the insulation is significant.

OK, I know, what does SIPS stand for. Honestly I don't remember but it is essentially a a styrofoam like substance laminated between two sheets of plywood that goes up quickly like a jigsaw puzzle. No sticks or poles. You can use trusses or SIPS for the roof as well.

If you do a Google search on SIPS, you will find lots of additional information.

Pole barns are about the same cost, but the pole barns can be up in less then a week once the poles are set. This one of those topics that can go either way. I would go with stick or SIPS. Strucaul Insulated Panels.