Oh, Gee Wizzzzzzzzzz

Paul Douglass

I started working on this new toy yesterday. Today I worked all day making the grill and attaching it to the hood. It took me 4 attempts to get the grill just like I wanted it. I attached it to the hood and the final step of this piece of the car was to round over the hood. This is what I did! Entirely stupid of me. I took too big of a bit with the router bit and I probably should have backed over the very front portion of the hood assembly because of the direction of the gain on the front piece. I don't know how to fix it other than cutting the grill section off and rebuilding it. I know wood filler would never match and would really show up, this won't be painted. Anyone got any suggestions other than replacing it? I'm really bummed!!!!!!!!!

IMG_2013.jpg

Well, first of all Paull Gee Wizzzzzzzzzzzzz won't cut it. You really need to vent to get your stress level down! :thumb:

When I screw up (frequently & usually major blunders), I find it best to walk away for a day (minimum) to cool off & clear the mind. During that time a seed starts to grow and before you know it, a plan comes through.

Stay cool, it'll come.

PS I really like the models you're working on. Starting to perk my interest. May start searching for plans online.

Maybe rout it out very gently around the grill area so you could fit a bent piece of contrasting venee around it?

very carefully cut off the corner of the grille where it blew out. then as best as possible cut a filler piece from the same block of wood you cut the grille from and glue that in using the same grain orientation. Once its dry then shape it to the hood with a rasp then re rout. the glue line will be very small if even noticeable. Make the seam so the ends terminate where the radius begins and ends

i think rich has a good solution but another thought would be to make that tearout area as a added detail that isnt shown on the plan for instance take and grove those all around to make them look like they belong there..

Well thanks for the inputs. Al is definitely correct, walk away. This morning after reading the input here and looking the situation over this is what I came up with. I use the table saw to shave the piece that went across the top of the grill off. Them using a sharp chisel, I smoothed it flat, did some sanding. Cut a new piece to put in there, shaped and fitted it as carefully as I could. Glued it in place. More sanding, a little routing and I'm satisfied. About three hours work.

IMG_2015.JPG

Way to go Paul! :thumb: I knew you would come up with a good fix. The mark of a master craftsman is a person who can fix his mistakes so that it is "indistinguishable", and that's you. Well done indeed. :thumb:

Thank you all, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. One of the good things about building my organ, I learned there is most often a way to fix things. That is why I say "Gee Wizzzzzzzzzzzzz" now instead of the words I use to say,,,, quite often!:eek::rolleyes:

That's a cool project. Wood is such a beautiful thing to work with. You can screw it up, and file and sand and fix it and still feel good about it.

Wood is just soooo sculptable.

Love the car - it's gonna be gorgeous.

Where is it gonna live when finished?

For sale? Gift? Display?

That's a cool project. Wood is such a beautiful thing to work with. You can screw it up, and file and sand and fix it and still feel good about it.

Wood is just soooo sculptable.

Love the car - it's gonna be gorgeous.

Where is it gonna live when finished?

For sale? Gift? Display?

Just being made for fun. Got things sitting all over the house I've made for no purpose other than the joy of making them. Next one is a 1934 Chev coupe. Them maybe I will get off the model kick and move on to something else.