Hmmmmm - Should I ask?

Leo Voisine

By now - you all know I have a big mouth - but I will go ahead and ask anyway.

Hope it's not a can of worms.

I am a CNC guy - have been for near 40 years. It's what I do. I am a senior Mfg engineer and CNC is my biggest gig.
Seems I cannot get enough of it.

I am pretty sure there are some here that dabble in CNC woodworking.

Funny - but you have a ?? COOKING ?? forum.
Now - I have seen some cool stuff in woodworking forums before - but "cooking?"
OK - OK - OK ---- I am cool with that - may even try some of your stuff. :thumb:

WHAT about a CNC forum.
Some people (I cannot say guys cause a know a bunch of girls too) like to build their own machine - I will some day
Some people like to get creative - with programming
Some like to learn new stuff.

Have you ever given thought to a CNC thread?

Just asking

it has been brought up Leo in the past but not enough interest at the time, i know of one member whom you probably already know that made his own and has his own forum as well, and few others that have small systems.. but perhaps there is more interst now that there was so if folks have interest speak up here and we can see if the staff will set one up..

I see no reason not to have one. It either gets used or not. There are people here that have them. I'd like to learn more about them. I could never afford one or be smart enough to make one, but I find them very interesting.

Just takes someone to ask the question to bring it up again to revisit it. ;) I've been for one for a long time as I built one and know of several other members here that have them. It's woodworking related and would like to see those items in one place to find rather than digging through other forums for them. What you all say?

As a cooking enthusiast I support your CNC endeavors.

I don't have one, but could see making one one of these days, so any information is always useful. I suspect a lot of people (myself included) don't know half of what you can do with these things (I know there are lots of projects I've seen were my response was on the lines of "huh I didn't know you could do that with a CNC") so maybe having some more examples would encourage more of us to get off of our duffs and get cracking.

That's something I really want to add to my list of "To Do's". Good friend on IAP, he was a bubblehead and I was a flattop, CNC's shell casings for pens...100% beautiful and amazing machine work. If nothing else, a great source for tutorials, code and "Look what I made" stuff!

Another thing on my long list of 'I wish I had one of those'. It would be great to see a CNC forum. Might get some of us interested enough to buy one when our ship comes in.

I don't do CNC (yet), but I'd be interested in lurking on that forum. As one of the Mods here, I'd say we ought to go for it. Brent/Darren/Vaughn: When does it start? :D

I'm game to add a subforum. Any preferences where we put it? Should it go in the General Woodworking area or the Tool and Equipment area? I'm leaning toward Tool and Equipment myself. What say you all?

Oh don't jump into anything on my quick question account.

Funny though - I posted at lunchtime and in 4-5 hours there are 15-16 posts.

Maybe - there "is" a little interest.

Maybe lots of folk are in the wannabee mode - but not many actually are into it. Still cool to watch stuff though.

Some of you may know - I lobbied for a CNC forum at WOW and Jason (beamer) added it in.
Now that is a small forum, but the CNC forum is relatively active.

CNC routers are the up and coming thing.

There is good and there is bad to it.

I LOVE all discussion about it - even those that believe it removes the soul from woodworking.

I would suggest though - that is not necessarily me called woodworking - only because it opens the doors to "other" materials besides wood. It does wood really well - but it also does plastic, brass, aluminum, signfoam, styrofoam and all sorts of stuff. I have cut Marble and Corian.

I was just asking the question --- have you considered it? The question has clearly been answered - yes you have.

Currently - I am buried in house remodeling, so not much cool and fun stuff - but when I do something CNC - I will post about it. Most likely in general discussion - because my stuff is not always wood related - but - at least in my opinion - cool.

I do paint stuff a lot. - even on wood.

I disagree Vaughn its not a new tool but a section on what we are doing with it or problems we are having and the build so I vote General Woodworking area

It would go under General Woodworking - even though there would be discussion about more than woodworkng in the area.

But please don't jump just because I asked the question.

Go through your normal process.

I disagree Vaughn its not a new tool but a section on what we are doing with it or problems we are having and the build so I vote General Woodworking area

But as Leo pointed out, CNC isn't necessarily just for woodworking.

Maybe it warrants its own complete area, like handtools or woodturning?

CNC Area

- CNC Systems and Builds
- CNC Programming, Troubleshooting, and Q&A
- CNC Project Showcase

Just tossing ideas out there. Ultimately, it's up to the Mods to decide. That's what they are elected for. :thumb: