Would it kill ya...

Awww crap...have to renew my ACLS, BLS and PALS this year. I let my NRP go because I refuse to do NICU, but PICU and T/CICU is cool with me! BTW...JMHO of course.

If you have problems with the acronims, think about me, that despite my comand of english, I always have a hard time finding what they mean and I have to make a search on the web. On top of that my vocabulary as far as tool names is concerned is limited because many times I do not even know the name of the tool in english. I know the two most used ones thanks to being here such as:
RAS radial arm saw ( we call it ingletadora)
TS table saw.
CNC Computer numeric control ( or so I think although I know what a CNC machine is )

Having all languages so many beatiful words to describe and name things why should we use acronims so much? Are we that lazy?? (Rant)

Yes, most of us are that lazy. As a newbie I have had my struggles with all the acronyms that are used by the experienced woodworkers. I know they understand what the letters mean but for us new guys it's sometimes a struggle.

I was in the Canadian Civil Service, for a while as an unemployment insurance officer. I once made up a sentence composed almost entirely of acronyms. The scary thing was, any colleague i said it to understood perfectly. By the way, did you ever hear of the admiral at a meeting who wrote a quick note to the junior officer beside him. "I know these other acronyms, but what is SHIP?"

maybe we could have a note some where that defines what they mean roger,, point taken:)

Somewhere back in our history a list of abbreviations was published on the Forum. I keep mine in a blue folder near the computer.

QUESTION: Is it better for the person writing a post to spell it out the first time it is used in the post OR make a hundred members stop and look it up in their "Blue Folder" or whatever they use?

I have 13, single space, typed pages of these abbreviations. There are 5 pages from Family Woodworking (FW) and 8 pages from Saw Mill Creek (SMC) so there is a fair amount of overlap. There are many abbreviations on each section that are unique to that group FW or SMC.

I would really appreciate having the words spelled out when first used in the post. The author could even capitalize the first letter to emphasize that abbreviations will be used in the rest of the post.

Right now I have a problem!!! Is BR correct for Bath Room or Bed Room?
I will have to look it up so I don't mess something up.

Enjoy,
JimB