Support the hobby - commercial

Leo Voisine

I feel that there is nothing wrong with making a few bucks here and there.

This sign is a HUGE learn for me

The outer rim is designed and created by me - I did the modeling to make is like the outer ring of a ships wheel. That is a longer story. I have my roots in a very nautical place - New Bedford and I was a marine mechanic. I did work on a historic sailing ship called Shennandoah - you can goggle that. I installed a new ships wheel of that ship. Anyway - I will one day make a ships wheel. So the models for this will be instrumental in that endeavor. For this sign it makes a cool outer rim. It is 18 pound HDU made is 16 segments - and 1.5 inches thick

All the letters and Letterhead fonts, but I modified the font to suit my purpose. The black letters are PVC and prismatic about 3/4 thick . The Red shadow behind the letters is HDU 1/4 inch thick.

The Compass rose stars are my design - HDU

The anchor is again designed by me and is 2 inches thick made of an exterior grade of MDF called Extira.

The white background is a composite material of Aluminum clad with PVC core.

I used LORD epoxy and 18-8 ss screws.

There is a dual french cleat made of PVC to mount the sign level and 2 galvanized lag screws behind the compass rose stars.

There is NOTHING to rust or rot.

This is my biggest -- 48" diameter -- and most complex to date. I did not win awards, but I got some really great comments from some very prominent sign makers.

a-sign-5.jpg
This was "in process" but you can see the "grain" in the outer ring segment

Post-3.jpg

This is completed as it was hanging in my shop