Thread: Putting a Sugar Maple to good use??

Putting a Sugar Maple to good use??

Ok - first off, I'm not a woodworker!! But I am wondering if any craftsmen would be interested in a very large sugar maple on my property. I have to cut it down for some renovations - but would love to see it put to better use than wood chips or firewood. Any suggestions on who might be interested or if this wood is of any value? I live outside of Toronto Canada. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Amy

Amy,

Woodturners would probably kill for pieces of this tree. If there is a chapter of AAW (woodturners) in your area, put out the word and you'll have people beating a path to your door. You can find out if there is a chapter by calling some of the stores (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc.) that sell woodworking machinery. Good luck!

And welcome to FWW. You'll find this to be a nice place if you decide to stick around.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I had portions of a silver maple from my property milled up using a bandsaw mill on site. The wood turned out to be at least partially spalted, with great color.

Sugar maple, if I am not mistaken, is a hard maple, and should be even better wood. If I was ever offered such an opportunity, I would jump at it if I could make it work.

Amy, you certainly have my attention. I am an avid woodworker who lives in Scarborough. Just how big is the tree? I own a utility trailer (8' by 4'). I wonder how many trips it would take to get the tree sections (probably cut into 8' lengths) to my place. Please send me private email if you want to talk about timing and logistics .
    Cheers, Frank

Thanks so much to all three of you for responding! It looks like I found a good place to get some info and make some contacts.
    Cheers!
    Amy

Build your house out around the tree and tap it for maple syrup. That will put it to god use.

Just kidding of course.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"