Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedster Build

Speedster Build

I'm not sure this is the correct forum but I'll start here. I love threads that show progress of projects people are working on, i.e., the "Organ Build Forum". I thought I would attempt one in my Speedster build. Even if no one is interested, it helps me think through processes and learn from my mistakes.

This is my current project. It is a Wood Magazine set of plans I purchased several years ago. It is a relatively simple toy build compared to some so it is good for a beginner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2020.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	80805

The first thing made is the chassis. Basically a board with holes for dowels and axles to be inserted in.

Then I moved on to the Grill/hood assembly. I already posted pictures of this on my Gee Wizzzzz thread where I goofed and had to do a repair

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...e-Wizzzzzzzzzz

I'll add those pictures here.

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	80806

Name:	IMG_2015.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	80807

The grill was made using a 1/8" straight router bit on m router table. Took me 4 tries before I got what I wanted.

Yesterday I made the firewall, firewall sides and dash. I didn't like the dash in the plans. I was just a strip of wood rounded over with a 1/2" round over bit. I made mine a little more shapely but still trying to keep it easy.

Name:	IMG_2019.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	80808

I wish that I had thought to do more with the "firewall" like make it thinner under the dash so when you open the door you don't just see a block of wood sitting there. But too late. And I'm a beginner.

Now I am working on the steering wheel and column. In the plans it is just a 1/4" dowel with a disk of wood on the end. I'm trying, "trying" to do better. I turned the column my lathe and attached a disk. Put it back on the lathe to turn the wheel.

Name:	IMG_2017.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	80809

Now I need to figure out how to do the inside of the wheel. I was going to cut it out on the scroll saw, but with column attached that is out. I think that leaves me with drill it out and them sand, sand, sand.

Name:	IMG_2018.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	80810

I already know my biggest short coming with any build I do. It is thinking ahead and doing things in the right sequence. Hence the column attached to the wheel too soon. I did it because I used to column to hold the wheel in the lathe as I turned it. I should have figured another way to turn the wheel. Live and learn.

So that is how far I have gotten.
    "We the People ......"

It's going to be a nice project Paul looking forward to the finished model
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

The way I do whorl for drop spindles (which are not entirely different than your wheel) is:

1. Rough cut on the bandsaw
    2. Drill the center hole
    3. I made an inside jam chuck (basically a shallow cone) for the drive side and trap the piece between that and the cone center on the tailstock
    4. rough turn most of the waste away
    5. I've already turned the spindle to size, in your case this would be a piece of wood in your collet chuck like you had the dowel sized to the inside of the hole.
    6. Jam the wheel/whorl onto the spindle (I make it pretty tight so a little mallet tap off the lathe to seat)
    7. Finish turn the wheel with light cuts.

I think that would do what you wanted because you could just tap the wheel back off of the spindle and cut it.

If you turned the wheel post with a little button on the end that would make a nice center for the wheel I think and provide a decent place for glue contact.

Looks nice so far, Paul. Looking forward to watching this one progress.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the info Ryan. I had to look up "whorl", had no clue what that was. Here is how I did it. I remembered I had a dremel tool with a nice router base for it. You can see it sitting on the back of the vise. I made a jig to put the steering column and wheel down into and them held the board in the vise. I had to hold the column in with some hot glue so the wheel wouldn't turn as I routed it. I routed out the center part, then did some sanding to smooth it all. Worked out pretty simple and didn't take that long. I stained the outer rim of the wheel just for kicks. Didn't turn out too bad.

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	80817
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Thanks for the info Ryan. I had to look up "whorl", had no clue what that was. Here is how I did it. I remembered I had a dremel tool with a nice router base for it. You can see it sitting on the back of the vise. I made a jig to put the steering column and wheel down into and them held the board in the vise. I had to hold the column in with some hot glue so the wheel wouldn't turn as I routed it. I routed out the center part, then did some sanding to smooth it all. Worked out pretty simple and didn't take that long. I stained the outer rim of the wheel just for kicks. Didn't turn out too bad.

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	80817
    Not sure you could do it a whole lot faster and nicer than that

Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Dang, that looks like fun
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Well, I have run into a snag. The next item on the list is the windshield frame. I may have to skip this for a while and come back to it. I just do not like the frame the plans call for. It is way to thick and massive looking to me. All speedster pictures I look at have very skimpy windshield frames. Got to think this over, but I know I don't like what is being called for in the plans. You can see it in the first picture I posted at the start of this thread. Don't you agree?
    "We the People ......"

I like this type of thread too Paul. I like to see every tool and jig involved in someones process. And i agree that even if its boring to others, its a good organizational tool that u can reference along the way.

I bet they did the windshield frame that way to give it some strength. But if u had it held together by an actual windshield of sorts (thin piece of acrylic glued to the frame maybe?) you might be able to get away with some really thin material there thats more proportional to the speedster.

Good luck :-) lookin forward to seeing what u come up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk