Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfeed/Assembly/Storage shop cabinet

Outfeed/Assembly/Storage shop cabinet

Like so many here, I'm a bit shy on shop space, so things have to do double duty whenever possible. (that, and I can always hear Glenn whispering little nasties in my ear every time I use my table saw for glue ups or finishing )

My current outfeed table is a Formica covered re-purposed desk top. It's hinged to the back of the saw table and propped up with an angled brace. Not strong, and it looks ugly.

Here's a solution I've been playing with. It's based on a design for a TS (table saw) extension table featured in ShopNotes Vol 18 IS 106. It uses a triple laminate of MDF with a laminate top and Kreg Klamp Traks on two sides. Below are 4 drawers in which I intend to store saw blades, feather boards, etc. Below that is a sliding door cabinet that will hold my sanders and sand paper. (so far. Still evolving) Behind the lower cabinet is storage for my Leigh D4. Storing this beast has always been an issue for me and this seems like a good solution.

As always, critiques and opinions are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	80811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	80812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	80813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	80814
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

What you've drawn up looks like a great solution for your situation. You sure have a good multi-purpose design there!

The mobile carts I built when my shop was half of a two-car garage were great then and are still in use now, even though I have more room.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Re: Outfeed/Assembly/Storage shop cabinet

Might have to steal this idea.
    Just thinking it may be a nice feature to have a couple of eye hooks and on either end and put an eyebolt on the saw either side to ensure it stays in place when wheeled into use. I know casters have brakes but this would be an added safety. Hope u know what i mean by eye hooks.

Oh and rest assured you aint going mad Glenns words haunt me when i am woodworking too. He has a way of getting into ones head. But in a good way

sent from s4
    cheers

Sweet looking outfeed Rennie. You could optimize the ease of access on the left hand sliding door area by adding a pull-out tray. The space the tray takes up is a small loss of space but, the usability of the rear portion of the storage area more than makes up for it.

Name:	Glenn's Pullouts 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	80816

Kinda like this only not for pots and pans
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

as soon as the weather permits, Im going to start something strikingly similar to your drawing.
    Only for me, Im going to put my Milwaukee router into it, so I have the extra router table.
    Ill make it for outfeed, and put a sheet of 1/4 inch Masonite when I use it for assembly or finish so I don't mess up the surface.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Sweet looking outfeed Rennie. You could optimize the ease of access on the left hand sliding door area by adding a pull-out tray. The space the tray takes up is a small loss of space but, the usability of the rear portion of the storage area more than makes up for it.

Name:	Glenn's Pullouts 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	80816

Kinda like this only not for pots and pans
    I think you mean the left side behind the sliding door? Actually, the jig takes up almost all of the 42" width of the cabinet so the front portion behind the sliding doors is only 12" deep all the way across. Do I understand your comment correctly?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 02-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I think you mean the left side behind the sliding door? Actually, the jig takes up almost all of the 42" width of the cabinet so the front portion behind the sliding doors is only 12" deep all the way across. Do I understand your comment correctly?
    Yes you do. I did not realize the jig took up that long of a space ;-) This actually works to your advantage as the space is well used and you won't send items to the "Twilight Zone" that exists in the rear of 'too deep' cabinets.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Really efficient design. I can see some modifications to mine coming real soon. I've been looking for a cheap piece of formica to put on the top of mine.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Rennie, I like your design. I have a question for you, though. Where is it that you intend to use the dovetail jig? Would you use it on this table? If so, I wonder if you could set it so it is hinged and folds into the table. That would mean you don't have to pick it up. Maybe it could be set up a bit like a sewing machine table, if you get my drift. It could be placed so when the jig is in the operating position, the top work surface would be level with the top of the table so the work would be supported over its length. When it is in the operating position it wouldn't take up any bench space. Just an idea.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

dave has a good point rennie, i dont have mine low either its at shoulder height on a shelf.. but to have it fold up and in position would be great.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!