It's Friday! - 2/7/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I think this has been one of the longest weeks this year, seems like today was never going to get here.

Tonight I'm planning to do some final mudding, need to take the wife's Jeep to get it's oil change and tires rotated. Tomorrow and Sunday I'm planning to work on priming trim that I haven't gotten to yet. Hopefully some time to pick on the guitar too.

What's everyone else got going?

Staying in tonight...cold! Tomorrow moving the latest round of snow in the morning and then some shop time as the wife and kid are going to a performance of some kind. Work party tomorrow night. Sunday a warm fire will be lit at some relaxing time will be had.

Today is the day when I'll finally finish the jewelry box I'm making for the Love of my Life (LOML) - (did you notice that I'm now starting a new protocol with the use of acronyms?). I should be able to lay in the velvet this evening. May just bore you with pictures later.

Also, I decided to learn how to use SketchUp8. This was decided during the jewelry box project: better to plan out the details & let the LOML decide what she wants from sketches rather than from verbal descriptions. That'll save me mucho detours. The CD fro Dave Richards "SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers" is very helpful! :thumb:

I'll be doing ceiling repair on my vaulted ceiling - then hopefully painting it.

Next - to get a start on building the boxes to cover the beams in my vaulted ceiling.

Then trying to get my body into the attic to install some ducting with inline fan to circulate warm air from my woodstove.

MAN - If I can do all that I am in the good.

Friday: Started the day by taking one of our cats to the vet for exam. Took LOML to lunch at Sunny's BBQ. Shop time this afternoon finishing a taper jig.

Saturday: Prepare the oak parts of the queen size platform bed for dye and sealer.

Sunday: Mostly a chill-out day - we hope!

Carol, I'm sending my best Ron's way.

Have another Friday Happy Hour gig tonight at a local sports bar & grill. That'll be the last one for me until the end of the month.

Saturday morning I'm loading up and heading out to LA for a couple of weeks. Planning to make the 800 mile trip non-stop to save on lodging costs. (Assuming my back and the weather cooperate.) I need to do some fix-up, clean-up, pack-up, and general re-arranging around the house. Probably not going to get any appreciable shop time, but I'll at least get to see my tools for the first time in about 8 months. Planning to bring a few turning tools back to Albuquerque with me for a bit of playtime at Nate Davey's place.

Tuesday morning my wife's dog got hold of a skunk in LA. She says she heard a noise in the yard and went out to find the dog shaking the skunk in his mouth. He let go of the skunk (which managed to limp away) but the dog got hosed pretty heavily. So of course now my wife is complaining about the skunk smell everywhere inside and outside the house. This is the same person who complains about the smell of cooked bacon in the house (even though she LOVES bacon). I'm not looking forward to hearing the endless whining about the skunk smell. Just kill me now. :bang:

Spending lots of time in a praying position trying to scrape the old vinyl off the kitchen floor so the new cork floor can go down. What a pain in the knees.

the same as every other day in the week.
retirement means every day is Saturday.
Hopefully, warm enough for me to get started on that pen order, don't know why I let myself get backed into a pen order, gotta have my head examined.

Cold Cold Cold! This is all assuming that I don't freeze out of the shop.

I'll be giving thimble turning another shot. A dozen in and not really consistent on the sizing yet (closer but not perfect. I guess most folks can pick a size that fits :rofl:). I ordered a cheap chuck of A2 to make a custom scraper to size them (sheesh for just a practice project this is complicated). Can't see spending the $70 for the Craft Supplies "Thimble cutter" besides the fact it only cuts one size (you want at least three it looks like).

Also need to turn a dozen or so nostepinne (fancy name for a tapered stick with a couple specially placed grooves in it for winding yarn) for LOMLs spinning retreat.

Need to start seriously thinking about this years fancy spoon for the clubs brewing contest, less than a month to go. We were going to go to a group brew at one of the club members (he has a 50g brew system) but the sub freezing temperatures put the kibosh on that (its outside and his hoses will freeze up).

If its to cold for the shop I'll probably start working on a belt for the boss since I can do the leather work in the house (although I think I may need to make a strap cutter for that). Haven't done much leather work in a looong time (besides easy things like re-soling some slippers, etc..) so we'll see how that goes.

Carol, I'm sending my best Ron's way.

Have another Friday Happy Hour gig tonight at a local sports bar & grill. That'll be the last one for me until the end of the month.

Saturday morning I'm loading up and heading out to LA for a couple of weeks. Planning to make the 800 mile trip non-stop to save on lodging costs. (Assuming my back and the weather cooperate.) I need to do some fix-up, clean-up, pack-up, and general re-arranging around the house. Probably not going to get any appreciable shop time, but I'll at least get to see my tools for the first time in about 8 months. Planning to bring a few turning tools back to Albuquerque with me for a bit of playtime at Nate Davey's place.

Tuesday morning my wife's dog got hold of a skunk in LA. She says she heard a noise in the yard and went out to find the dog shaking the skunk in his mouth. He let go of the skunk (which managed to limp away) but the dog got hosed pretty heavily. So of course now my wife is complaining about the skunk smell everywhere inside and outside the house. This is the same person who complains about the smell of cooked bacon in the house (even though she LOVES bacon). I'm not looking forward to hearing the endless whining about the skunk smell. Just kill me now. :bang:

Maybe a meet and greet?

Great weekend :D After 3 years my daughter, son in law, and grand daughters are finally moving out :bliss:

They got a house in the town village. My grand daughter Abby is my best friend in the world so I'll miss her happy face in the morning but I still need to pick her up from school and bring her to our house until her mom gets out of work :thumb:

Nothing else this weekend except shop time and church on Sunday.

Looks like I'll spend the weekend at the hospital again... LOML has just been transferred to another hospital so the cardio docs can check out her Mitral valve... with the blood infections she's been suffering and along with the back pain from the infection in her spine, now it seems she has a possibility of an abscess in the ring around the Mitral valve of her heart.... plus the valve is leaking and allowing some back flow... so there is a possibility of a valve replacement surgery in her near future.... if it's not deemed too serious, then another transfer back to the nursing center for another 6-8 weeks of antibiotics for the blood infection. She hasn't been home since Dec 9.... I don't much like being a bachelor.