Western Weather

4 studded tires and all wheel drive have never failed us here in Bellingham. You should see the "hill" we live on. I am constantly amazed at people that think their cars are equipped to handle the hills in our area when they are covered in snow. You either need chains or studded tires and the knowledge on how to drive in snow. I can understand taking out your average car when the area is flat but not with the hills that we have. We equip only one our vehicles for the snow each year and use that when it snows.

Talking about hills, you should see downtown Seattle. I wouldn't go down some of those hills with chains on!

I got to thinking about this and I would not go down those some of those hills in Seattle even if I had chains. You are just not going to stop.

Last edited:
I drive from Portland to Seattle and back 5 days a week and I'll tell you Washington State has it all over Oregon, When we drove down from Seattle this morning, the roads were clear and wet all the way to the state line When we crossed into Oregon Chains were required on vehicle over 10,000lbs. and the roads were snow packed and a mess. Washington uses a salt brine solution on the roads and it works great, Oregon uses gravel/sand and the roads are always a mess. :pullhair:

I feel for you Dan, making that trip in the snow. We got a surprise dusting Thursday. I am at work at 6:00AM so it was a nice drive in the snow with few people out until I got near the office (which is a nice flat area of town). I then ran into people creeping along at about 15 miles an hour. I am not sure what is worse, people who drive too fast for the conditions or the ones that drive too slow. I notice that most people tend to do a poor job of evaluating their environment and being able to make adjustments based on their observations. If they were suddenly thrust into a primitive survival situation, I am sure they would be quickly eaten by a large animal. If only we had some, to thin out the herd. :rolleyes:

I feel for you Dan, making that trip in the snow. We got a surprise dusting Thursday. I am at work at 6:00AM so it was a nice drive in the snow with few people out until I got near the office (which is a nice flat area of town). I then ran into people creeping along at about 15 miles an hour. I am not sure what is worse, people who drive too fast for the conditions or the ones that drive too slow. I notice that most people tend to do a poor job of evaluating their environment and being able to make adjustments based on their observations. If they were suddenly thrust into a primitive survival situation, I am sure they would be quickly eaten by a large animal. If only we had some, to thin out the herd. :rolleyes:

They do not know that they are crunchy & taste good with ketchup !!!