Different projects

Pam Russell

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I can't find all the pictures I wanted to show and please keep in mind all of these were made using pallet or reclaimed lumber. I've also getting into wood carving so there is a bit of that too.

View attachment 80932yard 019.jpg80933[/ATTACH]Gnome2.jpg[ATDSCF0066.jpgTACH=CONFIG]80935[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• fence3.jpg
    fence3.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 66
  • wood carving 2.jpg
    wood carving 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 72
The guy with the bear is beyond a doubt cool, but the little welcome sign is right up my alley. You really nailed the "mushroomness" of the mushroom carving, very nifty.

Your planting boxes are very similar to some I did a while back out of some scrap cedar fence pieces from when I moved to our current house. However you avoided some on the issues I had, specifically on the corners. I "cleverly" mitered the corners, your connection strategy is undoubtedly superior. Doing it over again I'd half lap the corners :D

Most of the wood came from the house in the fence picture. We bought the house to remodel 5 years ago. It was in terrible shape but we moved in and started work while living in it. The idea was to make it livable first and then get it the way we want it. I intend to build new cabinets for the kitchen, but there are so many ways to build cabinets and everyone says their way is the best way. And money is definitely an issue. I'm almost afraid to start. I also want to build something like a L shaped breakfast nook with a trestle table and bench, but I want it to sit in the middle of the wall and have a built in shelves on the side that shows to the room. I have lots of plans and not enough skill to pull them off I'm afraid. Thanks everyone, I was worried that my work would look childish next to everyone else's.

I have a lot more photos of the house and other projects on my Web site if anyone is interested. http://chat-alley.com Ignore the name, I've used it for a lot of things since I purchased the name over 15 years ago. Now it is just a place to show my son the work we've done. He was overseas at the time.

Some of the photos didn't come up.

Dscf0068.jpg table2.jpg table7b.jpg Dscf0003 (6).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, don't laugh but it's built out of 2 x 6's. And it's just pine, not even furniture quality wood. But it still turned out decent. Took about 4 months because I didn't have a planer then, so hours and hours worth of hand planning and sanding, in the middle of winter with no heat in the garage.

Pam, you are very talented, more than you give yourself credit for. I think you are doing fine in flatwork and carving. I know Larry would be furious to hear my suggestion but you just need to add turning to your skill set.

Looks great Pam. You're my kind of people. You planters may have solved a back yard problem I have wanted to deal with for a while now.

Looks great Pam. You're my kind of people. You planters may have solved a back yard problem I have wanted to deal with for a while now.

me also.
I need to build something similar this summer and put wheels on it, so I can move it around and put tomato and a few other veggies in it.
I don't have much sunlight in my yard, and my neighbor purchased rolling planters last summer and it worked out great for him.

fine work pam, and i really like that mushroom carving too.. and like others have said cabinets will be a walk in the park compared to what you have mastered already..the biggest problem with cabinets is having room to store them while your making the next one.. and to hand plane that table in cold weather is very commendable your a tuff lady for sure:) meant in a very prestigious manner.. do some research on what you want in cabinets and there many of here that can help you threw it,, woodworkers are opinionated folk but here for the most part we listen to the one doing the work and what they want.. rather than railroad them down the wrong set of tracks.

WOW great projects Pam, well done. I built my kitchen cabinets with no where near the experience you have shown with your work, go for it you will succeed:)

Wait a minute. I coulda sworn you implied you were a beginner at this woodworking stuff. These photo are not of a beginner's work. :D Very nice work, Pam! :thumb:

Thanks everyone, I mean it. No one was more surprised than I was when those projects came out the way I wanted them to. I get an idea of what I want in my head and it won't go away until I build it. But I don't necessarily use the right methods to get there. I read up on how others have built something similar and then I plan how I intend to do it step by step so that I don't miss something I didn't think of before it's too late to fix it. I guess I'm a bit anal about the details, I worry a project to death and if the plan doesn't fall apart after all that I build it. It's the method of building that I am lacking. I couldn't do a dove tail, no one I know has ever done it so no can show me how. I intend to play around with it after it warms up around here. I want to dove tail the drawers. I have a picture of the cabinets I want to build, but it isn't my picture. Can I put it up here anyways? I would make a couple of changes to it to suit my kitchen of course. I also intend to use old wood to try making a cabinet door because I want to work out how to miter the corners without any gaps. So, I build based on an idea and a plan and hope for the best. There have been failures too, not showing any pics of those.

...I have a picture of the cabinets I want to build, but it isn't my picture. Can I put it up here anyways?...

Yes, feel free. In the unlikely event the owner of the photo sees it and asks us to take it off the site, we'll gladly comply. Until then, post away. It's not like you're trying to take credit for someone else's work. ;)

...There have been failures too, not showing any pics of those.

Of course, none of us have ever had any failures in the shop. :rofl:

Sycamore%20Donut%20600.jpg