Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spray finishing accessories

Spray finishing accessories

Just wondering if any of you happen to use the 3M PPS System (Paint Preparation System) in your shops for ease of measuring and clean up.

Check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC2fuUAP4E#t=517

I see homestead finishing has the product available

http://stores.ebay.com/Homestead-Fin...sub=3860941012
    cheers

There are some good advantages to that system. If you spray a lot of different kinds of paint, or colors...like an automotive shop, it would be invaluable. I've found that many woodworking shops don't like using a gravity feed gun, and many don't use HVLP because of the CFM demand, on smaller compressors. Woodworking shops that do finishing, usually have their topcoats pretty well figured out. For some applications where a dye or a stain is used to spray, a separate gun is used in graduations of mix to achieve the intensity of color. This also works if a tint base is used in a topcoat.

it does look like it would be nice but its probally pricey for a small shop rob,, one thing i noticed is that gun appeared to be a gravity type gun yet he inverted it and it still sprayed like a pressure feed gun.. whats your take on that mike? the cleanup idea is really nice and the ketchup bottle idea was a good one to.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It takes me about 90 seconds to clean my gun using Target coatings. Why do I want to pay for a disposable container, and still have to clean the fluid path of my gun?

I prefer a gravity feed gun. The newer HVLP conversion guns can even be used with construction (hot dog) compressors, and are available as either pressure or gravity feed. I use a turbine, and finally will be able to get a turbine gravity feed gun (when I have to replace my current guns).

The 3M system does make a lot of sense for a body shop, where many precisely measured color formulas are used. Not for me.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I never used anything. I would just eye ball everything.....ya I'm that good LOL
    I have visited many shops over the years and don't see any of them using any system that requires this set up and although it looks quick and easy it kind of reminds me of having a helper who tapes his edges before painting instead of know how to use the brush to cut a clean line. all these extra steps take away the finishers acquired knowledge and desire to learn.

Now I have Jarrod writing his formulas down and I do to some extent. But rarely. I usually keep the left over for the ...just in case or if I know a customer has more to do later I write it down.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 02-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

hey charlie, can you use a gravity feed gun upside down like that? in my experience your gonna leak out the top vent hole???

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ... one thing i noticed is that gun appeared to be a gravity type gun yet he inverted it and it still sprayed like a pressure feed gun.. whats your take on that mike?
    The cup when fitted with the collapsible insert, becomes a closed system when the air is bled out.

Quote Originally Posted by mike marvel View Post
    The cup when fitted with the collapsible insert, becomes a closed system when the air is bled out.

kinda like a vacuum system then huh?

Looks complicated

I do use some of the small plastic food service cups (like what you'd get your ketchup or sauerkraut in at costco) for various measuring and mixing tasks. I got three sizes (1/2oz, 2oz and I think 4?oz might have been slightly bigger). They're pretty cheap from food service places (we buy a lot of stuff in bulk and I saw them when I was walking by the aisle and thought to myself heeeeyyy those look like the cats whiskers for measuring/mixing epoxy in - they've since proved handy for other things as well). The 1/2 oz is pretty handy for small batch epoxy mixing.

We also use them for holding spices/chemicals and measuring when we're doing stuff like making sausages (where we end up needing to do a lot of smaller gram scale type measurements for nitrate additions) and for some of my weirder molecular gastronomy experiments (I need 0.5 grams of sodium alginate in this mix.. and 25 grams of calcium carbonate in this one and if they intermix at all before I'm ready all that prep work is toast).

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    It takes me about 90 seconds to clean my gun using Target coatings. Why do I want to pay for a disposable container, and still have to clean the fluid path of my gun?

I prefer a gravity feed gun. The newer HVLP conversion guns can even be used with construction (hot dog) compressors, and are available as either pressure or gravity feed...
    I'm with Charlie on this one.

I have the gravity feed conversion gun, and use it with my 2hp compressor. When done spraying, I just go over to the sink, and run some clean water thru the gun. In about 90 seconds, I can run the water thru the container and the fluid path, and everything is clean. I do generally put maybe an ounce of alcohol in the container and spray it out. That way, any moisture is removed from the gun, and I'm completely ready for the next spray job.

The only things I spray in my 'good' gun are either Target or General Finish's waterborne lacquers - usually straight, but sometimes tinted with TransTint. BTW, after I've used up my stock of GF Enduro lacquer, I'll be using the Target lacquers exclusively. I like them better, and they're even a little bit cheaper!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!