Custom Memorial/ Keepsake Chest

Mike Mathieu

Hi Everyone
I was asked to create a special keepsake chest for a couple in memory of their first child.
The chest is made from Peruvian Walnut and measures 28" x 16" x 10". The Memorial Plaque is made from Holly and laser engraved. Although I had to learn a few new techniques in the construction of this project I can't say this was a fun project.
IMG_6506.jpg IMG_6507.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, a personal question about the box as I have a nephew that died and his ashes are still in the paint bucket container they send them in. Does the box seal permanent once the ashes are in it? Is it then hinged or a threaded hole to pour the ashes into it? Beautiful box, sorry for the reason for needing it.

Hi Jonathan
The chest is not intended for use as an urn .
It was made just as a place to store items such as blankets, documents and other memories.

Sorry Mike, I didn't open the pictures as I was at school when I saw it so only looked at it in the little clips. I have opened now that I am home and inside after doing chores. Beautiful work and again sorry it was needed.

It is beautifully made. Now that kind of work to me is real craftsmanship. That's what I want to learn.

As for the couple, I can't imagine anything harder than to lose a child, my heart goes out to them.

Beautifully built. Love the drawer & the hardware. It all comes together very well. I'm sure the couple will treasure their keepsake chest. :thumb:

You have proven that woodworkers can create beautiful objects of meaning and practical use. I should be so lucky to do the same.