Mohogany table job

This is a good example of today's acrylic finishes. We picked up this table the owner bought at an antique shop . It's a great reproduction but below par finish. The veneers are over particle board, The finisher applied an oil grain filler and then a acrylic varnish. Table is 12' with 3 pedestals.

So the table has been stripped sanded and grain filled with dark walnut filler, Sanding process I used #220 after a 3 day drying time , then I let it dry over the weekend and did another #220 sand , Not sure if you all remember my 7 pass sanding technique ...but this is where it comes in very useful to get an even sanding 100% of you will get uneven staining.
difference between 1st sand and finial sand

1st stain coat, 4 parts , 1/4 cup each part , dark walnut Behlen to 1 part Dark green Behlen then full spray cup half way mark with sanding sealer and the 1/2 with lacquer thinner.

2nd stain coat with 1 piss coat sealer and 1 full coat of sealer,

Natural lighting ; same ; up to 2nd coat of sealer;

With out understanding color theory, it would be had to get the right color. Plus explain options to the customer.

Last edited:
ok larry seven passes over one spot I mean up and back one time so you have 14 passes really. Also never start a new piece of sandpaper on the edge or you will get a burn through.