Thread: Spindle Sander Risers

Spindle Sander Risers

I enjoy having a tall spindle sander but, often what I am sanding is not that tall.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spidle Risers (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	81039

To even out wear on the sleeve, you have probably seen a variation of this . . . I knew I kept the material from that cheap-o stereo cabinet for something. I was able to get four panels out of the scrap. Three about the size of the spindle sander table.

Name:	Spidle Risers (2).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	81040

I mark the outline of the table top and drill for dowels. A protruding dowel in each corner will engage the layer below so I can stack the identical pieces for varying height. I mark the "front while they are still taped together in case my measurements aren't perfect and the holes only line up one way . I then glue dowels in that protrude enough to catch the layer below but, not so much as to run into the dowels that are in that lower layer's holes.

Name:	Spidle Risers (3).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	81041 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spidle Risers (4).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	81042 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spidle Risers (5).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	81043

The fourth piece is larger. I place two dowels at opposing corners to catch the table top and hold the whole rig in place. I have an early morning and so will finish up tomorrow but, I'm pretty sure you get the idea .

Name:	Spidle Risers (6).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	81044 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spidle Risers (7).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	81045

Depending on the thickness of what I'm sanding (or where my sleeve is most worn) I can add or remove layers to change the elevation and therefor the part of the sleeve that is used.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Good idea! The sub table for the risers to sit on is key.

I end up using some of the top area free styling for spoon curves and similar, in that case I sort of wish this sander had a non-oscillating option as well. The school I went to in grade 8/9 had a massive cast iron spindle/disc sander that I wish I could remember the make of, the only other similar setup I've found is the Oliver #34 combo (which it might have been, around the right era anyway).

I have a question Glenn, can't you just remove the sanding sleeve and put it up side down? I'm not familiar with them as here I still have to find place where they sell them. Usually I use my drill press, but obviously it doesn't oscillate.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I have a question Glenn, can't you just remove the sanding sleeve and put it up side down? I'm not familiar with them as here I still have to find place where they sell them. Usually I use my drill press, but obviously it doesn't oscillate.
    Yes, this can be done. The sleeves are 6" tall so even with flipping them I often have a couple inches that rarely get touched ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke