Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tig / stick welder & some metal work

New Tig / stick welder & some metal work

going South soon, need a bike rack for the old travel trailer. Got a budget tig / stick welder, comes with regulator, finger and foot pedal. Can't seem to master the foot pedal so back to the finger control. For a lunch box size welder, sure puts out a lot of heat. I made a wood prototype from 2x2 spruce to test my design. I'm using part of our existing bike rack to mount up over the propane tanks. 1st time ever tig welding. Previous experience is 10 minutes of stick welding but lots of acetylene torch soldering on lead.
    Got the parts painted last night, and ready for a test fit with a bike on the TT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7133.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	81059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7131.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	81058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7132.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	81057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7135.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	81056
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Stu, are you sitting down when trying the foot pedal? That is the easiest way at first. Have seen guys that can stand for short periods but they have years under their belts.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Very nice, Bryan. BTW I also thought this was posted by Stu.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Stu, are you sitting down when trying the foot pedal? That is the easiest way at first. Have seen guys that can stand for short periods but they have years under their belts.
    I resemble that remark!

I've not started to do any TIG, waiting for my consumables to show up.

Bryan, looks good, make sure you check it for cracks etc after a few miles.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks like it will do the job Bryan. I was hoping more folks would show their welding projects. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job on the rack, I'm with envy, would love to have a tig. What brand did you get?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I need more practice with the pedal and put some rubber feet on it, skates around on the cement floor. The Welder is an Everlast 160STH. See amazon.com or the everlast website.
    I got the bike rack on and fit the wifes bike on it, lighter than mine. It's a 2 person job putting them up there. I did take pics with her bike on the trailer, then took it off only to find the exposure was wrong

Name:	IMG_7139.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	81062

Wow thanks Bryan. You indirectly sold me on this welder. I wish i place to do the same on my trailer but i traded the front part of mine for better washroom space in the nose. I got a vcross trailer with the nose covered. When i trade over to a truck to tow it i will look at perhaps putting something like that on the back of my trailer.

Check out the video review of the welder here. This unit looks amazing from the video. I can relate way better to the idea of feeding the material to a joint like brazing or soldering. And it gives you stick option for heavy welding.
    From what i read it also allows you to work on 120v when 220v is not available. Bonus. Jonathan whats your take you the welding teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CblpZF54_uM
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Wow thanks Bryan. You indirectly sold me on this welder.
    I picked up the welder in Burlington at the Everlast dealer / importer. Amazon .ca has their welders too. I also got a kit they sold with several sizes of tungsten, gas cups, etc. The 160 comes well equipped for $500. For a budget welder it's great. They do have a 140 amp tig/ stick for $300, lift start, manual gas control, but the 160 is a better buy because it comes with a foot pedal, finger switch that starts the arc and turns on the argon, argon regulator and hose and has easy start HF or lift start. Power change is easy, for 120V , just plug in the adapter to the 240 v plug and go. Bonus, welder fits in a small plastic carrying case.

Name:	IMG_7141.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	81075

Is there any real reason not to go TIG for something at that price range? If the machine works as well as that video suggests?

I do have a reason for asking, as I've got a metal working project coming up. I was thinking of replacing my cheapo mig with a nicer mig, but this TIG machine intrigues me, since it looks to be much more versatile in the long run...
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 02-15-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash