Segmented bowl that is ... different.

David Miller

It is a bit hard to find wood in my location so I decided to try my hand at turning segmented bowls. Built a sled to cut the segments and thought I would test the whole process with some cheap wood. I had a bunch of plywood scraps and used them to build the bowl. The good news is that the sled cuts very accurately. The bad news is that a bowl made with plywood segments is very ugly. But the seams are nice.:rofl:

plywood bowl 1.jpgplywood bowl 2.jpg

Hmmm ... hard to find wood in Central Florida. Note taken :D

Indeed it appears you have the technical details down anyway. I'd be tempted to try using some sort of fill material (epoxy + color maybe - others probably have smarter suggetions) and then sand it back and finish it just to see what it looked like. I've seen a few folks do plywood based bowls that looked pretty good so it appears to be possible...

The plywood came out looking pretty cool. A lot more interesting-looking than OSB, if you ask me. :D

VM%201010%2004%20-%20600.jpg

Thanks for the comments, folks. I still think it's ugly, but not ugly enough for the firewood pile. It will probably be a catch-all in the shop. No finish on it. Started putting on some oil but it was grabbing the paper towel. It has already served its main purpose -- testing out the process. I'm working on a 'real' bowl now, a maple and walnut salad bowl requested by my lady.