future turning project in the works

This is a future turning project that I cast today. Haven't decided If I'm going to sale it or make a good friend of mine a pot call. It's a turkey pot call blank that I cast from alumilite and buckeye burl. It's 1 1/8" thick with a diameter of 4.25".

buckeye combo pot call blank.jpg

Well I didn't sell it so turned it. I'm about 95% finished with this one. I did find out one thing. It's hard to photograph a glossy surface! Here's a shot of the side and bottom. I haven't glued in the glass yet to finish the top. The bottom is the money shot anyways.

blue pot bottom view.jpgblue pot side view.jpg

Very nice John, that buckeye is something else. Excellent color to match it with the blue. And thanks for the link to your vendor. Boy they sure got a load of stuff and its pretty good pricing in my view. I guess the calls are a vortex just like the pens can be for some.

I fancy having a go at making a few different types. Appreciate the link.:thumb: Btw would love to hear a sound bite of this call when you done. Care to try put that on you tube no need for video just the call sound and a link.

When I see a cast blank, stopper or pen crash into my head! I've hunted pheasant, quail, duck and dove. Tell us about Turkey calls John; how do they differ from duck calls...any others for different game?...what materials matter. I'd rather hear an education from one of us than a website.

They are used to make the vocalizations of the hen. I'm no expert by far. I have a friend that can make a call sing! He can make clucks, purrs, yelps, all the stuff that a hen does to excite the boys! There is no single call that does it all. You've got mouth calls, pot calls, box calls, trumpet calls and probably a dozen I've forgotten. I know with pot calls there's a blue million combinations of wood and surface that can make the sound different. Even what the striker is made of can make a huge difference in the sounds that the pot can make. The striker is a stick of sorts that the tip is used to rub across the top. The top surface can change the sound. You can have slate, glass, crystal, aluminum, copper, stainless etc. The distance between the top surface and the soundboard which sits underneath the top can also change the sound, and you guessed it you can have different things for the soundboard. I guess like anything people do you start out with something that looks so mundane and then you realize the details can be crazy! Of course different people have their preferences as to which combinations they like best. They are fun to make and don't take much wood, so you can use some exotics. You only need a 4x4x1 inch piece plus the sound board and the top surface. Like anything, I've seen them go for well over 100 bucks! It's all about the name! I've sold several in the 30 dollar range. Usually I just sink it back into wood and parts.

Last edited:
Man, that came out pretty, John. In the case of this one, I think I'd go with the glass top just so you can show off all the goodies.

And you're right...photographing a glossy surface is a bear.

Yep, I'd like to hear what one is suppose to sound like. I've made two of them. Just for fun, I would like to, but don't hunt turkeys. The first thing I noticed is, one is made out of Cocobolo, heavy, dense wood the second I made out of mahogany, much lighter, softer wood. The mahogany is much louder and I think sounds better than the cocobolo.

I can't decide if I want to go with a glass or slate top. It does make a difference in the sound. With slate though all the inner goodness is hidden.

View attachment 81223
View attachment 81224

I vote for the glass.... I've never made one with the scratcher being glass, so don't know what the difference in the sound would be, but sure would be a loss to hid the inside of that call. :thumb::thumb: