Lurker alert! Help needed.

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Rob Keeble has been bugging me to write another book. So, OK then. But books need much more than an author. I believe that the reason my first book was such a success is that I found a newbie woodworker who was also an editor to read as I wrote and to also build the jigs and give me the feedback needed to keep things clear and simple.

So, I need another newbie, hopefully with good language skills to also act as proof reader and for clarity of instruction. All my somewhat experienced buds need not apply. You must be willing to read my copy and then do as I am instructing for clarity, proof of concept, completeness of thought and process, and be willing to spend a few bucks to acquire some tooling and supplies. The working title is Basic Woodworking on the Cheap. The premise is that often newbies don't want to spend big bucks while learning in case they decide it is not for them. As a woodworking instructor of many years, I know that spending money well can go a long ways to avoiding frustration and achieving success, so someday you may be willing to get better tooling and build more complex projects, and be very satisfied with your projects.

As my assistant author, you need to bring some things to the table. Willingness to try new stuff, willingness to be open to new ideas, provide honest feedback and be willing to explain why, and be willing to be prompt in completing your assignments.

I appealed to lurkers, because I think I am most likely to find the right person there. I really want someone who has the desire to learn and has little or no experience.

For the applicant, I am a published author. Router Joinery Workshop published in 2003. Now out of print, but still selling worldwide. That book is considered a classic approach to using the woodworking router. Some folks here can attest to what they think of it. I want to do something similar but beginning at the beginning with basics.

Reply here or PM me with questions, comments, or whatever. Let's see if we can work together.

Sooooo tempting ;-)

I would however, be doing you a disservice by applying. As much as I think I would enjoy it and as much fun as I think we could have together, my current budget of available time is in the red. I will stand, smiling on the sidelines and root you on with heartfelt enthusiasm.

Thanks, Glenn, but you are waaaaayyyy over qualified for what I have in mind. But. I will be in touch, because you have some cool ideas to help bring success to projects, so I may put the touch on you for ideas from time to time. Deal?

i am wishun you luck and if i were younger and single would apply, but i can attest to anyone that applies that this is going to be a great adventure for you to be working with this little ole lady:)

'Younger and single?' Am I in trouble with Randi? :) Didn't think so!

Any age, gender, and marital status is acceptable. Never crossed my mind that someone would think only younger and single need apply. Don't run off any potential applicants, Larry. You are also over qualified. Your woodworking skills and knowledge is well over average. I am looking for someone with no or very little woodworking skill. I am more interested in the desire to learn from scratch.

Boy this sure sounds like fun to me. Sure wish I was a newbie lurker!

Reminds me of my early days of woodworking on the cheap. I still refer to the books that Norma bought a long time ago for newbie's to refresh my memory.

I probably have way to many preconceived notions to qualify :rolleyes: and certainly a lack of sufficient time :(

I would happily to do proof reading passes if you ever want more eyes on it though.