peel and stick veneer?

Couple of questions. You gonna put veneer on Melamine and then paint it? Why would you do that? If you need a Melamine box with one side of veneer, you can order it that way. Or you can order one side Melamine and the other side 'raw' and then you can apply veneer to that. Whatcha doin'? Not much sticks to Melamine, which is the point of it. Find a sheet goods dealer and see what is offered.

does anyone know if peel and stick veneer will adhere to melamine and stay put after a coat of paint?

havnt seen any choices of one sided melamine.. this is to be a 24x60 base unit with one exposed wall that will be painted. the interior needs to be melamine

If you scuff sand the Melamine it should stick.

Or, use a paperbacked veneer, and scuff sand the Melamine, and use solvent base contact cement.

Or, just contact cement ¼" paintable plywood...Maple, Poplar, Birch.

Or, use ¾" paintable plywood as above, and laminate one side with white cabinet liner.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

It's not unusual to see cabinets shops bond one piece of HPL (formica and such) one top of another. If it's works on high pressure laimate, it would work on melamine as well. I'd do as Mike suggested, scuff it really well and put a "bonding coat" of contact cement on it. Let it tack up as normal, then apply the peel and stick veneer. I used that method on a couple of cabinet refacings I did, and the grip that results has to be seen to be believed! Be very sure your veneer is lined up fairly well, one it touches it won't move.

sounds like my best chance fred, wish i had a scrap piece of melamine to scuff sand and see if paint would hold..maybe i should laminate the inside with something and then the outside would be paintable for sure.

mike you got a source for the cabinet liner you mentioned?

Last edited:
mike you got a source for the cabinet liner you mentioned?

Check your local Yellow Pages for plastics/sheets/high pressure laminate distributors, such as Nevamar, Micarta, Wilson Art, Formica, etc. They usually have an over-the-counter sales desk for those off the street. Home Depot's and Lowes also sell laminates, and you might find a cut off for a song. BTW, most of the mica suppliers also sell most of what cabinetmakers use...sheet goods, plywoods, glue, hardware, and tools.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Thanks chuck, those are great links.. going to price it, with good paintable ply and laminate the inside i think to be safe, just need to find a source for the line laminate.. but it shouldnt be to high..and i can do laminate its just a 13" bt 60 area:)

Thanks chuck, those are great links.. going to price it, with good paintable ply and laminate the inside i think to be safe, just need to find a source for the line laminate.. but it shouldnt be to high..and i can do laminate its just a 13" bt 60 area:)

Like mike said should be able to get that at HD or your lumber yard.