Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Cedar Finish Problems?

Question Spanish Cedar Finish Problems?

I have Spanish Cedar bathroom cabinets. They were installed about 5 years ago. The cabinet shop used a stain, a glaze and then a lacquer spay on final finish.
    After about 1 year, the finish began to crackle in a few places, and slowly has covered most of the exposed areas.
    I do not know the source of the wood, or the moisture content.
    In one area, it appears that an area that does not get any sunlight does not have the issue. In addition, the inside on the doors also looks fine at this point.
    Some areas on the boxes have some hard wood plywood, and this finish is fine.

In addition, I used the same cabinets in a butlers pantry, where the sunlight is very low, if at all. Some areas have also begun to crackle.

Any suggestions? Should I strip the existing finish and try to refinish with a poly?
    Do I need to trash the cabinets and try another wood?

I am new to Family Woodworking, and looking for some help. Thanks! See the attached pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3839.jpg   DSCN3841.jpg   DSCN3842.jpg  

Randy, Welcome to the family. Glad you found us and I hope one of our finishing experts will chime in with some suggestions for you. I have about a hundred b/f of Spanish cedar out in the shop, but have only used it on small boxes and haven't put a finish on it. I do know it is prone to resin spots and it's possible that the same natural oils that work to form the resin spots have messed with your finish. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

i would get in touch with the cabinet maker and see what they say, i have seen the cracking before on another cabinet but it was with precat lacquer and that person isnt here at the moment to ask his situation..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Cabinet shop uses ML Cambell Magnalaq - Precat lacquer. I have many walnut cabinets sprayed from same shop but no problems. Retail distributor was puzzeled and said product may have gone on too heavy.
    Where cracks are the worst it appears that you can actually see the raw wood. I notice that ML Cambell has a help section on the web and I have not contacted them yet but will do so. Thanks for the comments.

i have seen that cause trouble with the same product, the coats in between may not have had enough time to gas off properly. i use ML cambell and used to use magna lac but now use magna max.. the film thickness shouldnt excede 3 mills i believe to be right.. ask dave hawksford this question he is a guru of finishing..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Was the inside of the cabinet sealed ?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Dave,
    The inside of the cabinets (including fake drawer fronts and stiles) were not sealed.
    The inside of the doors were sealed. BOTH areas have equal amounts of cracked finish.

The problems with the finish have appeared over a period of time....approx 4 years, and continue to increase.
    I have read several articles lately about Spanish Cedar....several articles say that Spanish Cedar may have issues with resin or sap continuing to seep from the wood for several years, and that we may never be able to get a good finish.

Do you think the problem is the wood, or the glaze or lacquer that was used?
    Thanks!

Defiantly sounds like a curing problem.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

Dave,
    Thanks.
    With a curing problem....do I have any options?
    What if I remove the lacquer and try to seal it with poly?
    What about a paint solution?
    or Do I have to trash these cabinets and start over with some other wood?

Call this number and ask for Jack, no one else ! My teck guy for years. Tell him your problem. He deals with MC 1800-935-6229