Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My headboard to build

My headboard to build

After Lou's kitchen someday gets done, I want to build a bed and this would be a great headboard.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...ard-thing.html

If you read the comments below it, they are kind of morons. Google shows that headboard is at least $1,100.00! Plus there is a locking mechanism for when the maid works and grandkids are bouncing on the bed. I think I will have the drop into my hands a little higher than in that picture. Guess that is another reason to get this hand working again! What do you think?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Well, I have always heard that couples should never go to bed angry. I guess I really understand why now.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Your just sleeping in the wrong room http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AucTsxReJU
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Ya I can see you with that.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Pretty cool! Little story about loaded guns by the bed. When I was a young, married man, I always kept loaded gun by my bed. I was working swing shift and got home around 1AM. My wife was already in bed asleep. I went into the bedroom and started undressing, getting ready for bed and my wife says, you touch me again and I will shoot you! I said what? and she repeated it. Then she says, I told you, you touch me again and I will shoot you! I woke her up, unloaded the gun and put it in the closet! She didn't touch the rifle, but it made me think twice. She didn't even remember it in the morning, will that is what she claimed anyway..
    "We the People ......"

yup, that is where you need to have a long stick before entering the room
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Well Jonathan i had my days of sleeping with one eye open. And on the occasion when i needed to be doing it i was not and Linda nearly got herself killed by the bad guys. I think the idea of this headboard relies on the concept that you are going to hear a disturbance and be woken up prior to anyone being in your face with a weapon. For that you need to think about your house structure first.

My last house in SA first off was built from bricks, double row bricks. Second on each window, opening or not, due to the nature of the way a window is installed in a double brick wall it results in a good sized window sill on the inside.

I had custom made to fit prison type bars made of 1/2 square solid steel bar, welded to 1/4 thick by 1 inch wide flat bar that was welded around the perimeter of the opening of the window on the inside in the form of what essentially is a square frame. Then that frame if you call it that was lag bolted on all four sides multiple times into the bricks and concrete lintel surrounding the window. Every window opening in the house had this done. They were measured and made and powder coated to try give them a decent appearance. If that was not enough we then made a steel gate/door in the middle of a long passage that led to the bedrooms. The gate was of similar design and had a solid non opening piece above it taking it all the way to the ceiling. We also had a planned escape gate in the master bedroom whereby we could unlock a dounble bolted gate welded into the security bars and break the window pane to get out if needed. Gun safe was in the bedroom along with ammunition. We also subscribed to armed response with panic buttons on either side of the headboard. None of this mentions the perimeter security. I wont go into that too.

The net is none of this helps if one or other party does not adhere to the plan in the event of a break in.

So Pauls point is very valid. Linda heard a noise in our other end of the house in a guest room that doubled as a office and sewing room. Instead of pushing panic button and waking me, Annie Oakly or tough Jane gets out of bed goes down passage opens gate and goes to check what it is.
    On top of all that she puts a light on in the very room the guys are busy working on the internal security gate from the outside.

Very lucky for her they panicked and fled. She then came and woke me up and called the armed response and police.

So thousands of dollars and all later our security was disarmed by the weakest link lying right next to me. Sure she realized what she had done and in most of the cases in that part of the woods you would have been shot from outside with an AK47 so she was lucky. But after the event is too late.

Also experienced a near fatal situation in the military where we slept with loaded rifles and one of the guys in camp played a prank on a guy sleeping and came very close to loosing his life. Had the gun not been loaded or around it would maybe resulted in a fist fight or the likes but not in a reactive shooting. Sure one can say dont mess with people in this situation, but these mistakes happen same as mistakes at the table saw are not deliberate.

The image of the headboard looks super cool but i dont think its practical or safe. And i have shot at a guy before in that very house but that was when the guy waltzed into the yard after breaking in next door and passed by my office window unawares that i was home and watching him. In that situation i had to run to the gun safe get the shotgun out grab ammo and run around the back loading the shotgun while i was on the run. When i got to the front of the house where i believed he was hiding after he came across my enormous fences and could not get out, I let fly first simply because in that neck of the woods you fire first or dont get to fire back. He quickly popped out of the bushes when the shotgun blew half the bush away. Lucky for me he was not armed or it could have been different. Should have had an automatic rifle you dont take a knife to a gunfight. And i dont know about buckshot versus hail of 7.62 ammunition blazing around me which could have been the case. Bottom line seeing him i outside i was able to retrieve and load a weapon in time to defend myself given the house security setup as a whole. Cameras were not that affordable back then like they are today. That would be my first line of defense today, to get early warning on intrusion rather than have the expensive headboard mechanics with the potential for an accident.
    cheers

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Extend your warning time... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snarly.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	81176Keep 'Snuggles' in the house at night

My wife can hear the neighbor fart 4 doors down from us, but 'Snuggles' beats her hearing ten-fold! Leaves plenty of time to pop open that headboard
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Well, Rob, I really wasn't trying to make a point, just tell a little story. But, it did make me stop and think. Part of the reason I had one there at the time, I had not been home from VN very long and I found it hard to sleep without a weapon near me.

There are lots of precautions a person can take, all kinds of security, big dog being a great deterrent, at least to the armatures, but after my house got broken into, and I don't work shift work any more, I have a loaded gun by my bed again. Only time it is not there is when children are visiting, then it is unloaded and put away.
    "We the People ......"

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Ken yep your dog is gonna hear it long before you do. Heck my dogs heard a possum the other night out side under the front porch. I didn't know what they were having fits about till they had it cornered in a old metal pail. Had to shoe them out of the way so I could shoot that sucker with the 357.