My headboard to build

After Lou's kitchen someday gets done, I want to build a bed and this would be a great headboard.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/567095-gun-bed-headboard-thing.html

If you read the comments below it, they are kind of morons. Google shows that headboard is at least $1,100.00! Plus there is a locking mechanism for when the maid works and grandkids are bouncing on the bed. I think I will have the drop into my hands a little higher than in that picture. Guess that is another reason to get this hand working again! What do you think?

Pretty cool! Little story about loaded guns by the bed. When I was a young, married man, I always kept loaded gun by my bed. I was working swing shift and got home around 1AM. My wife was already in bed asleep. I went into the bedroom and started undressing, getting ready for bed and my wife says, you touch me again and I will shoot you! I said what? and she repeated it. Then she says, I told you, you touch me again and I will shoot you! I woke her up, unloaded the gun and put it in the closet! She didn't touch the rifle, but it made me think twice. She didn't even remember it in the morning, will that is what she claimed anyway.. :eek:

Well Jonathan i had my days of sleeping with one eye open. And on the occasion when i needed to be doing it i was not and Linda nearly got herself killed by the bad guys. I think the idea of this headboard relies on the concept that you are going to hear a disturbance and be woken up prior to anyone being in your face with a weapon. For that you need to think about your house structure first.

My last house in SA first off was built from bricks, double row bricks. Second on each window, opening or not, due to the nature of the way a window is installed in a double brick wall it results in a good sized window sill on the inside.

I had custom made to fit prison type bars made of 1/2 square solid steel bar, welded to 1/4 thick by 1 inch wide flat bar that was welded around the perimeter of the opening of the window on the inside in the form of what essentially is a square frame. Then that frame if you call it that was lag bolted on all four sides multiple times into the bricks and concrete lintel surrounding the window. Every window opening in the house had this done. They were measured and made and powder coated to try give them a decent appearance. If that was not enough we then made a steel gate/door in the middle of a long passage that led to the bedrooms. The gate was of similar design and had a solid non opening piece above it taking it all the way to the ceiling. We also had a planned escape gate in the master bedroom whereby we could unlock a dounble bolted gate welded into the security bars and break the window pane to get out if needed. Gun safe was in the bedroom along with ammunition. We also subscribed to armed response with panic buttons on either side of the headboard. None of this mentions the perimeter security. I wont go into that too.

The net is none of this helps if one or other party does not adhere to the plan in the event of a break in.

So Pauls point is very valid. Linda heard a noise in our other end of the house in a guest room that doubled as a office and sewing room. Instead of pushing panic button and waking me, Annie Oakly or tough Jane gets out of bed goes down passage opens gate and goes to check what it is.
On top of all that she puts a light on in the very room the guys are busy working on the internal security gate from the outside.

Very lucky for her they panicked and fled. She then came and woke me up and called the armed response and police.

So thousands of dollars and all later our security was disarmed by the weakest link lying right next to me. Sure she realized what she had done and in most of the cases in that part of the woods you would have been shot from outside with an AK47 so she was lucky. But after the event is too late.

Also experienced a near fatal situation in the military where we slept with loaded rifles and one of the guys in camp played a prank on a guy sleeping and came very close to loosing his life. Had the gun not been loaded or around it would maybe resulted in a fist fight or the likes but not in a reactive shooting. Sure one can say dont mess with people in this situation, but these mistakes happen same as mistakes at the table saw are not deliberate.

The image of the headboard looks super cool but i dont think its practical or safe. And i have shot at a guy before in that very house but that was when the guy waltzed into the yard after breaking in next door and passed by my office window unawares that i was home and watching him. In that situation i had to run to the gun safe get the shotgun out grab ammo and run around the back loading the shotgun while i was on the run. When i got to the front of the house where i believed he was hiding after he came across my enormous fences and could not get out, I let fly first simply because in that neck of the woods you fire first or dont get to fire back. He quickly popped out of the bushes when the shotgun blew half the bush away. Lucky for me he was not armed or it could have been different. Should have had an automatic rifle you dont take a knife to a gunfight. And i dont know about buckshot versus hail of 7.62 ammunition blazing around me which could have been the case. Bottom line seeing him i outside i was able to retrieve and load a weapon in time to defend myself given the house security setup as a whole. Cameras were not that affordable back then like they are today. That would be my first line of defense today, to get early warning on intrusion rather than have the expensive headboard mechanics with the potential for an accident.

Well, Rob, I really wasn't trying to make a point, just tell a little story. But, it did make me stop and think. Part of the reason I had one there at the time, I had not been home from VN very long and I found it hard to sleep without a weapon near me.

There are lots of precautions a person can take, all kinds of security, big dog being a great deterrent, at least to the armatures, but after my house got broken into, and I don't work shift work any more, I have a loaded gun by my bed again. Only time it is not there is when children are visiting, then it is unloaded and put away.

When I see those things, I always think a few things, first: If you want to have a gun for safety reasons you must be decided and ready to use it against someone with the possibility or intention to kill him.
Second: As far as I have read, statistics show that more people die in US due to gun mishandling accidents than by assaults.
Third: Do people in US really need so many guns? I mean is life so unsafe? Are there so many criminals around?

I can understand and share the need and right of self protecting oneself, specially when living in an isolated house or area, like where Larry or Brent live, but seeing so many guns around gives me the creeps, not because of the guns themselves but for what it means if there is real need of them.
Obviously, I'm not used to it, here one can get a gun but not so easily as in US.

When I see those things, I always think a few things, first: If you want to have a gun for safety reasons you must be decided and ready to use it against someone with the possibility or intention to kill him.
Second: As far as I have read, statistics show that more people die in US due to gun mishandling accidents than by assaults.
Third: Do people in US really need so many guns? I mean is life so unsafe? Are there so many criminals around?

There's a quote somewhere around about why one would need a gun, mostly because I can't carry a cop around on my waist. ;) Statistics as far as police response time usually show that crimes happen far faster than a crime takes to commit, even in populated areas. If have have the choice to be armed and protect my loved ones or myself, I'll do it every minute of every day.

I'm a strong advocate of gun safety, but far too many gun owners buy a gun yet don't train or practice safety. My dad had all of us kids in safety training, my first class was at 5 years old and I've taken others over the years, but most of it from that first class has stuck with me even through to today.

Toni, in my case, part of the reason to own a gun is for self-protection, and the other reason to own one is for the hobby of shooting. The hobby part is my main justification for owning more than one gun, although I do have several different guns for self protection, each with a separate purpose of primary use. And yes, I'm prepared to use a gun to kill someone if they are actively trying to harm or kill me.

I'll echo Darren on gun safety. There are a lot of irresponsible owners who not gotten the proper training in safety and handling. And that includes parents who leave guns accessible to kids, especially kids who know nothing about how to handle a gun safely. Loaded guns were accessible to me as a kid, but I don't think I'd do the same these days if I had young kids. (Too much has changed in our culture.) Like Darren, my training started when I was about 5 years old, and although I didn't take any formal classes until well into my adulthood, I was raised by a father who was very strict about gun safety, so safe handling practices just became a habit for me at a very young age. By the time I started school, if I had found a gun in the bushes or seen one at a friend's house, chances are I would have known how to open it up and unload it to ensure it was safe. Or at the very least, I knew not to point it any anything I didn't want to shoot, and to keep my finger away from the trigger.

We have firearms and my wife recently took the Sig Sauer pistol course. I don't hunt but love to target shoot and have a pistol at the ready if needed for personal protection in our home but it is safely stowed.

As much as I strongly support our right to bear arms that guy with rooms full of weapons, is in my opinion, a nut case and does nothing but give the US and gun supporters a bad reputation.

As much as I strongly support our right to bear arms that guy with rooms full of weapons, is in my opinion, a nut case and does nothing but give the US and gun supporters a bad reputation.

But I would bet that 'nut case' is one of the first on the front-line when it comes to protecting our rights to own guns. It may seem excessive or extreme, but think of it this way...How many tools are in your shop right now that can cut a piece of wood in half? Handsaw, back-saw, coping-saw, dovetail-saw, band-saw, circular-saw, jigsaw table-saw, radial arm saw and...... :wave: Shucks{lol been awhile since I used that word} back when my Dad & I were heavy into deer/small-game hunting, we owned 27 different varieties of rifles & shotguns between us, didn't make us any better hunters, and we could only accurately use one each at a time, but we sure had/took pleasure in acquiring each and every one of them. :D

Well i believe in gun ownership for several reasons my least is self protection, first would be hunting or self sufficiency but a close second is balance of power.
Where i came from i honestly believe that the number of guns in the hands of the general population ensured a peaceful transition to a democratic state. In that same sense i think it keeps gov power in check. Just look at how much of a "police state" some places on the planet are when citizens have no way of resisting illegal abuse of power on the part of the state. The mere existence of the fact that the citizens have an ability should it come to that, to resist imposition of abuse is enough to prevent it. You cannot resist force if you are disarmed. Taking a knife to a gunfight dont work.
Any while some would say the modern day weapon is social media, it only works to an extent that the communication infrastructure is open. Ask people in China about that concept. And even then it only works if someone is going to come and fight your fight for you ask the Syrians about that one.

Its not the gun thats the problem, its the person behind the gun and from what i have observed in Canada which has pretty strict gun ownership laws especially for handguns, none of these laws have prevented the criminal from obtaining and using a gun to harm innocent people never mind those they in the process of robbing or assasinating.
In my experience when i had cause to use my weapon back in SA had i called the police, i would have been told one of several stock answers
1) we have no gas for the cars
2) the car she is broken
3) all the cars are out you will have to wait.
4) the radio is not working

Now go figure what you gonna do ? Tell the bad guy to take a half time while the cavalry wait for money to buy gas?

Yeah most of us do not know what its like to live in countries where the resources are wasted.
Call 911 around where i live and you get 3 cruisers each incredibly well equipped with each officer equipped with his own radio. Never mind computer, cell phone etc etc. And followed by fire engine, and ambulance/paramedic and examine the resources each of these other disciplines bring along and man its nothing short of incredible.

sent from s4

I firmly believe in the right to bear arms and have a good number of them myself, and they are used for hunting, target practice & family/self defense, although to a lesser extent these days. Plus I've had a concealed carry permit since I was ~18. As stated above, it's not the gun that endangers anyone, it those that use one for illegal purposes.
However, on one hand I'm not so sure military assault weapons are necessary as the more conventional guns serve these stated purpose(s) well. Yet, there are legitimate reasons for collecting them. Bottom line, as long as we live & abide by our laws as allowed by the U.S. Constitution, it's a personal choice that all legal citizens of the U.S. are entitled to.

Last edited:
...However, on one hand I'm not so sure military assault weapons are necessary as the more conventional guns serve these stated purpose(s) well...

The "assault weapon" term had been very misused by the media and general public. The vast majority of us will never own an assault weapon, although a lot of us own semi-automatic weapons that have a bunch of black accessories on them. As an example, both of these pics are of a Ruger 10/22, the most popular semi-auto .22 caliber rifle ever made. I got one for my 16th birthday (or maybe it was Christmas). The only difference is that the stock had been replaced and a bunch of accessories added. They are both just as safe or dangerous as the person handling them.

ruger_banner.jpg

The "assault weapon" term had been very misused by the media and general public. The vast majority of us will never own an assault weapon, although a lot of us own semi-automatic weapons that have a bunch of black accessories on them. As an example, both of these pics are of a Ruger 10/22, the most popular semi-auto .22 caliber rifle ever made. I got one for my 16th birthday (or maybe it was Christmas). The only difference is that the stock had been replaced and a bunch of accessories added. They are both just as safe or dangerous as the person handling them.

ruger_banner.jpg

Of course if you had a clip like the "After" when you were 16, a lot more lizards would have bit the dust.:)