Liquorice sweets or as you guys say Candy :)

Rob Keeble

Had a day off with my youngest son the other day and we paid a visit to a building he had a project on.
On way back we stopped in at the South African store to pick up a few supplies from the old country lol.
I wondered whether you guys know what i am refering to if i say "liquorice all sorts" maybe a pic is worth a thousand words in this case. These were never my favorite sweet really only purchased them for show and tell and i know Linda likes a particular one out of the pack.
So do you guys have them in USA.?
I actually think they a British thing i know my Mom used to like them. I can only handle liquorice once in a blue moon. :)uploadfromtaptalk1392911119020.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392911143564.jpg

sent from s4

Obviously you shop at the wrong stores. That bag is WAY too small. I would have to buy many bags.

We always pick them up in the UK, and when we occasionally see them here, we often buy them. I recall the days when I could eat whatever I wanted, and not gain weight. No more, so candy like this has become a rare treat.

Yeah, Rob, what Charlie said. You need to get the wine-bottle-sized box from Costco... :)

The problem with these is they suffer from the "bet you can't eat just one" phenomenon

Man I haven't seen these in years. I don't remember seeing them down here but definitely remember having them in Canada. There were like two candies in there I really liked (the "grit" covered ones if I recall correctly) and then the black licorice centers out of the round candies. I'd trade the outsides for the licorice centers, never cared for the outside part of those for some reason.

Most of the big drug stores have them around here as well as some supermarkets. I really like black licorice, the stronger the better.
Most of the country stores have the real old fashioned stuff.

you folks that don't like licorice, do you like Anisette, Ouzo, Sambucca ????

I think I remember those from way back. I thought I was the only one who liked black licorice...didn't realize I had friends in that area (Brent hates it).

Yes, Carol, Jelly Belly black licorice beans and don't forget the buttered popcorn beans. They go well together :thumb:

Yes, Carol, Jelly Belly black licorice beans and don't forget the buttered popcorn beans. They go well together :thumb:

Oh I forgot the popcorn beans - I used to like those.. Not as sure I would now, I've trained my pallet pretty seriously that "artificial butter flavor is bad" on the beer tasting side.

Bob - add to your list Pernod Anise - which is pretty easy to make at home - soak some anise in vodka (or everclear) for a couple weeks, strain and add simple syrup to taste.

Yup these are good to munch on but not one at a time. I get these at my Mennonite bulk food store by the pound. You said they have ti be good for you?

My favorite candy by far, my dear mother sends me a nice big bag every Christmas, it never survives a day, and I'm the only one who will eat them, the kids and wife think they taste like medicine, I do not try to dissuade them :D