Friday is here again!

Al Launier

The quality work really of my orthopedic surgeon really proved itself yesterday morning as I took a very nasty fall on my front steps. While shoveling the snow off I slipped on the ice (under snow) giving both my knee and ankle a very painful twist. I had a total knee replacement less than a year ago and that it really scared me as I immediately thought the worse – that it may have “torn” apart. I got up after a few minutes and to my surprise the knee felt good and solid, surprisingly solid as I walked around on it; couldn’t believe it. I know for certain that had it been the other knee some serious damage would have occurred. I am walking around with no discomfort to the knee, but as for my sprained ankle (on the same leg) that is another story: swelling, much icing and Tylenol required.
So, I’m basically trying to stay off my foot. Yet there is a strong call from the shop to continue working on JoAnn’s next jewelry box. We’ll see what happens.

Working on a 60+ year old children's pull along wagon for a friend to pass along to his daughter. Too many nails! It has some split wood on the removable railings that I will replace. The thing has airplane tires on it. I'd guess about 8" diameter. He insists they are the original tires. Incredible. I believe his granddad made it for him. Also repairing a split stool made by the same gentleman about the same number of years ago. Interesting that things made that long ago are still in good shape, in everyday use, and repairable. What a concept!

Was gonna move this next week but the spot I reserved has not been vacated. Bummer.

Twiddling my thumbs in Yuma, AZ.

Been working on my taxes off and on for the past few days. Not a happy camper :mad::pullhair:

I just received the inlay kit that I bought on sale from MLCS. After practicing a bit I'm going to inlay a heart on the table top of the vanity I'm building for my grand daughter. I've never tried to inlay anything before so it should be fun :thumb:

My wife has school vacation next week so I'm sure that she has some plans for me. I know that she wants the wall paper on the down stairs bathroom stripped and the walls painted. So I'm sure that I'll get stuck with that job :( I'd rather chew aluminum foil than paint.

She will also be spending some time with our daughter and new grandson.

I need to run to the lumber yard to pick up a few lengths of beech to build the bench for the vanity and find a fabric store to get some foam and fabric for the seat cushion.

Working ........ maybe get in a bike ride if the weather is forgiving. Looking for the next subject to paint. I think a Loon and her 2 chicks.

There is always that picture of that squirrel you showed here a little while back....

I am spending the weekend building a jig to make it possible for me to drill evenly spaced holes on a round object, i.e. spoke wheels for my toys. Got a picture of such a jig, that works on the drill press.

Watch some Olympics and pout because the Canadians seem to keep getting the best of the U.S. :rolleyes:

Nurse a cold I came home with after visiting my Grandson. I get sick every time I go see any of them, maybe I'm allergic to them:(. Oh well they are worth it.

Last edited:
Saturday - going to Bridgeport Ct. to visit my grandkiddys, Son and DIL

Sunday - Home Show in Boston trying to get ideas on remodeling my house.
I will be hiring an interior designer to help with this.

I can build anything - but I cannot select paint colors

Today, LOML and started by taking our youngest cat to the vet for a followup exam and blood work. You'd hardly know it from her activity, but turns out she has some issues we'll have to treat with diet. The worst part was having to wait out an early storm system, then dodge rain drops to and from the vet's office. Other than that, my wife and I are trying to catch up on rest from our recent trip.

Saturday, I should have some shop time - finally. I'm still trying to get the oak parts for our queen platform bed project prepped for dye and finish.

Sunday's main effort will be brunch, followed by setting up for the Daytona 500. NASCAR is back!!!!! :thumb:

Finishing up the last of the Honey-Do list in Los Angeles before packing up and heading back to Albuquerque on Sunday. (12 hour drive...it makes for a long day.) One of the things on the list to pack up is an assortment of turning tools, for use on Nate Davey's beastly lathe in NM. I may try to sneak in one more quick turning project here before I do that, but shop time has been a pretty low priority this trip. (I did manage to turn a curly maple hollow form while I've been here...I'll show pics once I have them.)

We are in Seattle for a couple of days, actually the "U-District" area, which is where the University of Washington is. Came down today for the Lie Nielson Hand Tool Event. Dave Jaske of Blue Spruce Tools and Gary Rogowski are also here. I spent some time talking with Dave, who still remembers the Tour DeWood visit to his shop. It was interesting to hear him talk about running a small tool making business, the problems you have to overcome.

I also ran into Marilyn of SheWorksWood. We were both in one of Chris Scharwz's classes over at Port Townsend. It was nice to talk with her again. It is really a small world when it comes to woodworking.

I will probably go back tomorrow to spend some time talking with Gary. I managed to leave the show today without buying much, expect for a large Blue Spruce mallet to go with its baby brother that I have at home. Of course if I go back tomorrow, who knows. Besides Hardwick's Hardware store is only about 200 feet away from where we are staying.

Both barns frozen up, surgery a couple of weeks away, got the stock trailer out of the snow bank tonight and backed up to the barn. Loading 8 of the 10 pigs (one has frozen ears and the other has a rupture). Hoping for a good price tomorrow at the sale barn. Either way, less mouths to feed and water for Lou in a couple of weeks. 3 big bales got delivered today, took a gamble on some silage and the calves won't eat it, so am out of hay with them, 2 big squares left for the horses so have a load coming in next week mid week. Sunday setting bales out and rolling bales out for the calves and getting ready, weather man says 0 next week again and snow. I'll tell you, this glazed over ice is something! You all be careful, hopefully by end of May I can get in my shop and do something if all goes as planned this time.

Both barns frozen up, surgery a couple of weeks away, got the stock trailer out of the snow bank tonight and backed up to the barn. Loading 8 of the 10 pigs (one has frozen ears and the other has a rupture). Hoping for a good price tomorrow at the sale barn. Either way, less mouths to feed and water for Lou in a couple of weeks. 3 big bales got delivered today, took a gamble on some silage and the calves won't eat it, so am out of hay with them, 2 big squares left for the horses so have a load coming in next week mid week. Sunday setting bales out and rolling bales out for the calves and getting ready, weather man says 0 next week again and snow. I'll tell you, this glazed over ice is something! You all be careful, hopefully by end of May I can get in my shop and do something if all goes as planned this time.

Good thing that you are following the Doctors orders and taking it easy. :rolleyes:

I wish I could drive down there and kick you in the behind :D

Oh my gosh! You get a certain age and you tend to believe you can't be surprised any longer. We just got back from dinner and I had the most wonderful meal. It was a hole in the wall Salvadoran restaurant. I had never had Salvadoran food before and it was all very good, but it was the pupusas that was the eye opener. The restaurant is called Guanaco's Tacos Pupuseria and for any of you in the Seattle area, I suggest you give it a try. I had the cheese and pork pupusas. I wish they were in Bellingham.

Nurse a cold I came home with after visiting my Grandson. I get sick every time I go see any of them, maybe I'm allergic to them:(. Oh well they are worth it.

Paul, I know what you are talking about, nursing a head cold I got from the oldest grandson (CJ) last weekend. He sniffles and goes on a hundred miles an hour, I get and feel like I have been pulled through a knot hole backwards!

(I did manage to turn a curly maple hollow form while I've been here...I'll show pics once I have them.)

Yeah, like you got to send them out and get processed!:rolleyes::rofl: Glad you had time though.

Good thing that you are following the Doctors orders and taking it easy. :rolleyes:

I wish I could drive down there and kick you in the behind :D

He told me I was getting enough blood to my hand to keep it alive and work it to see if exercise will improve the blood flow (it didn't). I explained to him why I wanted to wait til mid March to have this operation and he was cool with it. In fact he has told me if it were the majority of his patients it would be good. But doing what I do on a daily basis, it just runs out of blood and energy and quits working. Plus it just aches. So, onward. I improved our watering situation, bought a brass fitting that screws into the bunghole of the barrel and the other end is same threads for a garden hose, so now we just fill it with the little bung at the top, get to the water trough, screw in brass fitting, screw on hose, roll barrel so little bung is at bottom, remove large bung for air and glory be, water at the end of the hose! But I do appreciate the concern.

Oh my gosh! You get a certain age and you tend to believe you can't be surprised any longer. We just got back from dinner and I had the most wonderful meal. It was a hole in the wall Salvadoran restaurant. I had never had Salvadoran food before and it was all very good, but it was the pupusas that was the eye opener. The restaurant is called Guanaco's Tacos Pupuseria and for any of you in the Seattle area, I suggest you give it a try. I had the cheese and pork pupusas. I wish they were in Bellingham.

I know what it is you are talking of. My youngest daughter and her husband took Lou and I to a Mexican restaurant that is owned by a Mexican family and it isn't all about HOT food. Delicious seasonings, quick service, clean, polite, wonderful atmosphere. I of course love their Tilapia offering. But man I rave about that place and instantly associated your discussion to my feelings towards their establishment.

Home, but somehow this little fella followed me.

1-101-2.jpg

I confess to being weak.